• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

fishing in the canaries

Paul White

Going to the canary islands in January.what's the fishing like for shark,marlin,tuna like this time of the year?

For Tenerife I used a charter boat called 'Crested Wave' last January. I'll be going again on the same boat in February 2016. Brilliant crew, plenty of fish including various tuna to around 40kg on trolled lures and similar sized rays on livebait bottom baits on our trip but much bigger are caught. Mick, the owner has a species calendar on the website. The 'Crested Wave' Facebook page is updated a couple of times a week with catch reports too. That's me with an albacore second photo down on the 21/12/15 entry!

I booked the full day trip, we started to catch the albacore about 30 mins before the official finish time so the British Skipper asked if anyone minded if we stayed out. Nobody did so we got an extra two hours and more fish. Indicates the standard of customer service. They're keen anglers too!

Will be having a go off Lanzarote next month also but haven't booked a boat yet though expect similar results. Anyone got any recommendations?

I'm in Gran Canaria first week of January, any thoughts on what's available there?

It's been about five years since I was in GC but I seem to recall that charter boats operate out of Puerto Rico. Most of the Canaries are similar, deep drop off within a mile or so of the shore which is where the tuna usually are.

I went to Gran Canaria once, Puerto Rico, over 30 years ago, it was the wrong time of year for the Tuna and Marlin and boat fishing seemed to be limited to winching small Tope up from 1800ft 3 at a time, no fun at all. It took about 10 minutes for the lead to hit bottom and 30mins to bring it up!
Had some good sport from the harbour wall though, Stingrays up to about 50lb and various other Bream type fish, plenty of small stuff to be had on float tackle too.
Getting bait was the biggest problem then, we went to a village called Aguenigan from memory and the boats were happy to part with Mackerel etc when they came in. Had some good Bream type fish in the harbour there one evening, to around 10lb on ledgered Mackerel. My mate got a HUGE ray, it completely covered the boot area of the Jeep he'd hired and it took about 2 hours to bring in. The whole village turned out for the spectacle and it was landed by the lights of several of the locals 4x4's. I'd estimate it to have weighed nearly 200lb.
The local kids there were theiving little gits and many small tackle items went missing when our backs were turned.
At that time Puerto Rico was just developing and Aguenigan was all corrugated iron shacks, no doubt it's very different now.

Back