• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing in france and private lakes

David Hall

My question to anyone who may know, do you need a licence to fish a private lake? i believe it's a disputed law and no one seems to know for sure.

Dave, I've fished in france for the last 18yrs for a week each year and I believe your license is in the price you pay for the week, saying that tho I have never seen the gendarme come around the private lakes we have fished to check licenses;) but I have seen them around and in boats on The Orient and some of the other public big lakes which you can not night fish. I dont think you can night fish the rivers aswel:eek:

Dave, I've fished in france for the last 18yrs for a week each year and I believe your license is in the price you pay for the week, saying that tho I have never seen the gendarme come around the private lakes we have fished to check licenses;) but I have seen them around and in boats on The Orient and some of the other public big lakes which you can not night fish. I dont think you can night fish the rivers aswel:eek:
Hi paul, the 7 day tourist licences need a photo on it...:confused:, maybe a good idea here to.

French Fishing permis

I had a holiday near le Mans, close to the river Sarthe. The cottage owner, who was French but spoke very good English, explained that we could fish the lake without a permit because it was a private lake. To fish the nearby Sarthe we had to go to the local Tabac and buy a permis (permit).

I have also fished a private lake in the Deux Sevres region of France and was told I didn't need a permit to fish there. I was told, however, that if I wanted to fish a lake nearby, that is open to the public, even though I would have had to pay to fish there, I would need to purchase a permis.

Last edited:
Back