• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing Gloves, please recommend me a pair?

Eddie Bray

Senior Member & Supporter
Looking for some gloves with the winter coming, would like recommendations if anyone has some.

A pair for fishing and if suggested maybe a pair for sitting around outside.

Just bought a Bivvy Heater (and a Carbon Monoxide Detector) for the bivvy but need to keep my hands warm too!

Eddie, I use fingerless mittens, got two pairs both good, one pair from Blacks and one pair from Orvis. The thing to look for is how the mitten is secured in place when removed from your fingers, it’s annoying if it flaps about.

I hate wearing gloves when fishing, much prefer going down this route, works out at less than £1 a pair if you buy in bulk. They also do foot warmers. 👍

I've ordered a couple of pairs to try :)

Eddie, I use fingerless mittens, got two pairs both good, one pair from Blacks and one pair from Orvis. The thing to look for is how the mitten is secured in place when removed from your fingers, it’s annoying if it flaps about.
Yeah I like fingerless mittens as well. Normally buy cheap wool ones off eBay. Normally a button on the back to hold the flap back. The Velcro ones just get clogged up with wool and stop working after a bit. Also got a zippo hand warmer that I keep in my pocket and get out every now and then to warm my fingers up

I buy fingerless gloves from an industrial workwear shop. The wool mix has good thermal properties and keeps my hands warm enough all winter and allow me to rebait etc without having to remove them. But, when I pack my gear up to walk back to the car I take them off and exchange them for a pair of gloves with fingers as I have found the only time my hands got really cold was carrying stuff like a metal framed chair.

Looking for some gloves with the winter coming, would like recommendations if anyone has some.

A pair for fishing and if suggested maybe a pair for sitting around outside.

Just bought a Bivvy Heater (and a Carbon Monoxide Detector) for the bivvy but need to keep my hands warm too!

Eddie I bought a pair of neoprene gloves in Aldi last year they came in Camo or Green if I remember correctly they were £4 a pair.

Aldi

from time to time get in two fold fishing neoprene gloves the finger tips fold back sizes I have large hands and the original Aldi XL ones were no where near big enough

but as of last year they finally have got some much bigger sizes XXL :cool: Just keep your eye out for when they get them back in

Gloves are not only a personal thing but a situation thing. Personal - some like them some don't (with fingers like sausages). Situation - When I fish for say pike, cast infrequently and expect fewer bites I might wear something like the Trakker Polar Fleece Gloves which are mittens to keep the fingertips free for baiting etc. but with a flip top to cover the whole hand whilst waiting for a take. When trotting for roach, grayling, dace etc. with many bites and handling numerous fish I have found wool mittens become wet and slimy and the wet causes your hands to chill. I now wear two layers on my hands: small quite thin wool mittens next to the skin and then over the top of the mittens black DIY rubber gloves with the mainly used finger tips cut off. They are like marigold washing up gloves but slightly thicker rubber. The rubber gloves are also fairly fish friendly as they do not remove anywhere near as much slime as ordinary gloves but on their own they are too thin and your hands still get cold. The mittens keep your hands warm, the rubber gloves keep your hands dry and trap the warm air.

I’ve always found a good barrier against the cold, is to thoroughly rub Vaseline into your hands before you start. This takes a few minutes to do properly, but certainly works. Whatever gloves you then use, stand a better chance of keeping the chill out.

Always found fishing gloves to be too tight but the ALDI xxl neoprene gloves were quality at £4.99 and large enough to put on without catching arthritic thumbs. As Gerry posted earlier just keep an eye out for when they come in stock
I’ve got a couple of pairs of them and they’re excellent!! And cheap!!!!

Once paid £30 for a pair of seal skinz worst gloves I’ve ever had.. kept your hands dry but they were bloody freezing also the inner liner pulled inside out every time you took them off.... ended up giving them to the dog to chew she likes a sock or a glove for some strange reason
Most expensive dog toy I ever bought

Once paid £30 for a pair of seal skinz worst gloves I’ve ever had.. kept your hands dry but they were bloody freezing also the inner liner pulled inside out every time you took them off.... ended up giving them to the dog to chew she likes a sock or a glove for some strange reason
Most expensive dog toy I ever bought
yes the Sealskin socks are total rubbish too !

Just feels wrong to me, wearing gloves fishing, at least trotting, spinning or fly fishing. After years suffering cold hands, since I've started using Merino wool thermal undies my hands don't get cold any more. Sure the Muckboots help a lot too.
Incidentally the best gloves I found when I was still suffering cold hands were a pair of Damart thermal gloves which I cut the fingers off. Not at all waterproof but they did seem to retain heat even when wet.

Just feels wrong to me, wearing gloves fishing, at least trotting, spinning or fly fishing. After years suffering cold hands, since I've started using Merino wool thermal undies my hands don't get cold any more. Sure the Muckboots help a lot too.
Incidentally the best gloves I found when I was still suffering cold hands were a pair of Damart thermal gloves which I cut the fingers off. Not at all waterproof but they did seem to retain heat even when wet.
If my hands get cold I put gloves on ? before they get too cold to fish properly 🤔

Back