• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing chair

Richard Bruton

Senior Member & Supporter
Gents, looking for a recommendation please.

I suffer from a dodgy back and find the angle of chair backs awful being inclined backwards.

I'm looking for a lightweight chair with as straight a back as possible or one that can be adjusted up so that it's approximately 90 degrees to the seat.

Many thanks

Fox do a few recliners as well - there's the deluxe range which is quite pricy (and a tad heavy), and Eos 2 and 3. I can vouch for the comfort of all three, and the Eos 2 is easily carried on your back, and from memory the Eos can be put to 90degrees or near as dammit.

Alternatively there are numerous camping chairs which tick the box and cost very little, but the dimensions will be different of course.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the recommendation. Clearly a light chair but the back still looks like it's tilted backwards; is that correct? I can't see any adjustment on the back rest.

No idea what your back problem is but, just a thought ... if it's L2-L4 prolapse related then wearing a lumbar roll can really help with seated posture (did mine at 23 years of age, which ended up with me having partially successful surgery).

Gents, looking for a recommendation please.

I suffer from a dodgy back and find the angle of chair backs awful being inclined backwards.

I'm looking for a lightweight chair with as straight a back as possible or one that can be adjusted up so that it's approximately 90 degrees to the seat.

Many thanks
I've got a JRC X Lite . . .whilst its really light (circa 3kg), compact and comfy / comes with a carry strap etc and great on sloping banks with the back legs tucked under (the little zipped pocket on the frame is also handy for your mobile etc)

I actually find it too 'upright' on the occasions the swim has level ground and when the back legs are in play but not extended. In this situation and even with the fronts fully extended it feels too upright for me and almost like you are 'perching' . . .on this basis it may be good for you . . ? No adjustment tho . . .

I recently bought a Korum Aeronium recliner, Richard, and it's brilliant. 3.9kg too!
Richard, I have the non reclining Aeronium. I find it to low and with very limited leg extension. I've gone back to my JRC and made longer legs for it so that I can get a good position regardless of bank slope.

I bought one of these because of my dodgy back and knees and bought some aluminium tube to extend the legs, I can sit about 2 feet off the ground now or take the back legs off and put sawn down bank sticks in on steep river banks
4CAD12AD-9719-4C54-914A-4D3EBD73455B.jpeg

Richard, I have the non reclining Aeronium. I find it to low and with very limited leg extension. I've gone back to my JRC and made longer legs for it so that I can get a good position regardless of bank slope.

The 'recliner' has longer extending legs that the version you have, MIke. I think I'm right it suggesting that 'leg factor' is one of its selling points.

Or the simple way to get what the op wants is to buy the lighter non reclining chair and just change the position as to where it folds out to keep the back more upright.
A self tapping screw sat on a soft washer that will bend and deform to the shape of the chairs tube once tightened and a cable tie to stop it digging into the tube.
makes my chair sit much more upright
11C46314-D694-467E-8467-F30AB7C73561.jpeg

Mike & David - do you have a 'duffers' guide to fitting the longer fronts legs on the JRC (assuming you have X Lites?) Also with them fitted and retracted is there still enough tolerance for them to fold and keep the chair flat for transport without getting in the way etc?

Back