• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing at the Olympics?

I have very little time for the Beeb these days. I don't really see how it would be implemented anyway, it would have to be match fishing and on a global context you could not ha e the same species being used. It's a nice idea but one full of issues. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of the vocal anti brigade and that back lash. Global event, global attention.

The BBC has been anti angling for many years, apparently one of the "sports" considered for the 2020 games was ...... dancing :eek: I for one am glad the idea was dropped.

Lol! I love how folks think the BBC are 'commies', typical tribal politics bulls**t, no one's allowed to be neutral!
For the record they recently did a fishing program, Earth's Wildest Waters, hardly anti when fishing programs are rare as rocking horse s**t on most channels.

Back on topic I'm not sure it's a good idea, but no worse than dressage, which is basically horses dancing. Or synchronised swimming for that matter.

From what I've read recently it's more likely to be tournament casting rather than actual fishing. A specific skill that is measurable rather than the luck of the draw of a match.

Fishing at the Olympics? Not sure, but then I'm old school and think the Olympics is being bloated by too many sports that don't really belong, such as golf and tennis.

As the for BBC's view of angling then I'd say the term 'ambivalent' is probably the most accurate way to describe it, if indeed the organisation has a view. The notion that they are anti-angling is a strange one given, as Rhys points out, they recently ran 'Earths Wildest Waters'. I probably listen to Radio 4 more than any other BBC media outlet and from time to time they produce some interesting angling related features.

They don't have an opinion, as a whole, though individuals obviously express views.
It's funny that before Clarkson got sacked not many complained about the BBC being right wing despite his supposed controversial comments.

They don't have an opinion, as a whole, though individuals obviously express views.
It's funny that before Clarkson got sacked not many complained about the BBC being right wing despite his supposed controversial comments.

I personally think they are more left than right, recent coverage of the referendum before and after had an very one sided view. They seem as an organisation to support that middle to upper class mind set. Its not I believe they are anti angling, more that they are a bit "hippy dippy with cash", that kind of attitude that's acquired by having grown up on mummy and daddies money. Which I suppose being state funded they have. It's hard to explain really. Regardless of their position leaning left or right they are supposed to be impartial, increasingly they seem to be not. That really is the point. Tbh my thoughts could expand way further on the subject, much further than is appropriate in this space as a fishing forum and I don't wish to completely derail the thread.

Back on topic though, I can see distance casting working. Not sure it would be popular but I can see how it world work within an Olympic format.

In the "Modern Olympics" back in 1900 there were fishing contests, but back then painting, pottery and even tiddlywinks were some of the weird games that were included.
As Joe said am more into radio than BBC television. Radio 4 plus for me. For the dramas and comedy. Don't laugh Radio 4 and 4 plus are miles better the today's TV

I personally think they are more left than right, recent coverage of the referendum before and after had an very one sided view. They seem as an organisation to support that middle to upper class mind set. Its not I believe they are anti angling, more that they are a bit "hippy dippy with cash", that kind of attitude that's acquired by having grown up on mummy and daddies money. Which I suppose being state funded they have. It's hard to explain really. Regardless of their position leaning left or right they are supposed to be impartial, increasingly they seem to be not. That really is the point. Tbh my thoughts could expand way further on the subject, much further than is appropriate in this space as a fishing forum and I don't wish to completely derail the thread.

Back on topic though, I can see distance casting working. Not sure it would be popular but I can see how it world work within an Olympic format.

If they are going to include distance casting, what about a category for spodding? Or even better, bait-dropping? My money would on Horak winning gold in the latter, I dread to think what he'd get up to in the Olympic Village though...:eek:

In the "Modern Olympics" back in 1900 there were fishing contests, but back then painting, pottery and even tiddlywinks were some of the weird games that were included.
As Joe said am more into radio than BBC television. Radio 4 plus for me. For the dramas and comedy. Don't laugh Radio 4 and 4 plus are miles better the today's TV

Dead Ringers & 'The Now Show' better then any comedy on TV that's for sure..

If they are going to include distance casting, what about a category for spodding? Or even better, bait-dropping? My money would on Horak winning gold in the latter, I dread to think what he'd get up to in the Olympic Village though...:eek:

I think I'd make more success of myself pat taking on bait droppering than barbel catching tbf :D

Back