• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing a River in Flood

William Taylor

Hello,

This is only my second season fishing the middle Severn at Bridgnorth,

With the rivers coming up, It would be great to know how people with far more experience then me approach it.

When in flood last year, I fished in the slacks, using a straight led with a big piece of flavoured meat or boilie wrapped in paste. Is this about right?

As for swim selection, I am not too sure what I should be looking for.

I have been giving each peg half an hour-ish, then moving on. Is this mobile/roving approach the right way to go?

And if anyone has any other advice on fishing rivers when they are up, then that would be great.

Cheers.

Although I do try the slacks behind obstacles or off bends, I prefer smooth steady water in a flood. Half an hour max in each swim until you get to know the stretch, then you'll discover your banker flood swims to spend more time in or visit more than once per session. Meat or boilie wrapped paste sounds good.

And if you can hold the rod. Feeling for the bite is electric with barbel you can almost feel them mouthing the bait and every knock and rattle. If you feel a positive indication stay put.

Although I do try the slacks behind obstacles or off bends, I prefer smooth steady water in a flood. Half an hour max in each swim until you get to know the stretch, then you'll discover your banker flood swims to spend more time in or visit more than once per session. Meat or boilie wrapped paste sounds good.

Agree with all that ... I'd just add the old adage re. "smooth steady water" : preferably flowing at no more than a brisk walking pace i.e. ~4mph.

When the river is not in flood look for swims where the bank drops away almost vertically into the water. In fact these locations depending on the drop might not be suitable in normal conditions for the above reason. This means when in flood you're not having to retrieve your tackle or even a fish through submerged bankside vegetation. The inside of bends where the flow is less severe offers another possibility. I see little point in hurling your tackle out into the flow where it is likely to collect debris and bump round anyway unless you're using a lot of lead to hold bottom. I try and fish just off my rod tip where I can control what's going on. Another useful tip is to use some power gum shock leader and tie a stop knot two or more feet above your lead. As debris gathers on your line it collects here and doest slide down your line and build up around your lead which causes your rig to bump round in the flow it also tangles up and can snag your free running link. Snag free retrieval of terminal tackle is more significant than location of your hook bait in the river itself. When in flood and if the fish are having it they can be caught in areas where in normal conditions you wouldn't consider putting a bait. I've caught barbel on sheep shawn submerged grass. When in flood they don't always stay within the confines of the normal river level. Never put yourself at risk, try not to fish alone, keep away from steep slippy banks where access is awkward, if you're mad enough wear a life vest, harness and use a dog spike.

As Alex says.
Fish upstream. Debris if a problem runs up your line and often a quick jab upwards of the rod removes it.

In real floods, the fish will ofyen siy where you do on a normal day!

Always be concious of where any swim staging may be though.

Back