• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

fish first aid

Ramon San Juan

I know a few products are on the market for this BUT... What is the best way and product to use on general wounds, inside mouth cuts or any others?

I ask this as I caught the worst looking carp ever and felt pretty helpless as I did not know what to do. It was a small carp around 3lb with a deformed mouth (looked like birth defect it was all heeled up) But on its dorsal fin was a pretty big growth all open and weeping blood.

My 2 bottle kit (one for outside cuts/one for mouth) is running out and wondered if there was anything all round or a better all round kit if I ever do catch a fish with more than just a cut!

I only ask this as I personally think something is better than nothing as this growth was quite bad (lucky there is no pike in the area) and felt that stuff I had was useless!

Thanks in advance
Ramon

JWTFL-friarsbalsam.JPG
Friars Balsam. click the BFW link below page 11 - post 108
It works wonders on 'external' wounds, finrot, general damage, scale loss, and some types of protruding infections and growths. It does not seem to work on Tumours but will help against further infection.
Don't use it 'inside' the mouth on hook wounds. Outside the mouth seems to be ok though!

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/showthread.php?t=3397&page=11

Last edited:
Orabase works very good as well and usually stays in place longer than Bonjela,it's available from your local pharmacy.

I carry Aqua Swab and Aquagel, two products from the oranamental fish trade and both do the job very well and come in, I think, a 100ml bottle and last time i brought some were about £10 each

Thanks Ray.. Nice to see it working too!

So can bonjela or orabase work on tumours or inside fish mouths?

Nothing will work on a tumour...they can't cure cancers in humans yet, let alone fish.

However, Rays 'Friars Balsam' may work on ulcerated wounds as well as injuries etc.

Bonjela or Orabase can be used in the mouth.

Cheers, Dave.

If you find an external blood supplied larger growth especially around the gill or mouth areas, where it can be critical to the survival of the fish, it can 'tied off' to stop the blood supply to the growth and becoming larger, and to where it 'may' eventually drop off with a bit of luck.

Savlon is also another good antiseptic that the NRA/EA used to use this for scale damage and after scale removal. The Friars Balsam is well proven on external damage etc as mentioned, and should be carried in ones kit. Believe it or not, Friars Balsam is a totally Herbal remedy.

Last edited:
Friars Balsam all the way. Careful as the stuff is really tacky if you get any on yourself. It also makes you look like a real heavy cigarette smoker as it stains and is very pungent too.

Brian

Back