• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fish Fight.

Best bit was giving the fish away free at Hastings. If all the fisherman did that the publicity would be immense.

Mike

My Sky Plus had a major failure last night, although have been following the fish fight on twitter. Maybe 4OD will have it, or be repeated.

Definately worth supporting - I visit Norway for a fishing holiday each summer, and they seem to have the fishing about right - meaning that the angling remains very good. Each fjord will only have 2/3 small boats fishing with drift nets. 'Spose they do eat Whales though which is controversial!

I only buy free range chicken these days too.

Andy

I can't get the 4OD to work on my work PC. I assume this is part of the current campaign buy a group of TV chefs' to get us to give up our 'traditional' fish and try some of the species that get chucked back in. I read recently that we eat fewer different species than just about anywhere in the world. I think we pretty much only eat 5 species. Presumably cod, haddock, plaice, salmon and tuna.

A couple of years ago, my local chippy tried persuading people to buy battered pollock instead of cod; but he gave up in the end, not enough people bought it, despite being much cheaper and really tasty. Hard to change habits of a lifetime! It'll be interesting to see whether this campaign changes anything.

Just had a look. As far as I can see, half the solution is eating different kinds of fish, and the the other half is changing the quota system. Which is way overdue. I'd guess the Spanish will do whatever they want anyway.

Last edited:
Yep, utter madness, couldn't believe the size of some of the cod they had to chuck back, dead!
Signed up for it as soon as I'd finished watching.

As much as the whole celebrity thing generally annoys me, its a very powerful way of getting these sorts of issues across, so fair play to them for that.

Jordan and Alex Reid can f*** off though:)

A very interesting, and by design shocking program. Well put together, and well presented.Some of the film in the second program of the mounds of dead skarks, manta rays, turtles etc were quite horrifying. Well after time that this global madness was highlighted, and hopefully, , changed to more sustainable methods. Can,t see any instant fix being brought about, the EEC don,t move quickly, and there are some notable, vote veto countries which continue to destroy the likes of bluefin tuna, namely France,Spain, and Italy, there,s huge sums of money involved, and money talks!
Will be interesting to see how this campaign goes, I signed up on the petition, the more the better, and the AT are on the case too, sign up for both, if you haven,t already!
peter

Back