• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

first fish of the season

Russell Shevlane

12.4 barbel last night on a very short session.
20130726_215029_zps022b3ade.jpg

Note my camouflage

Alas no. Martin Bowler boilies for this one half a boilie with a size 14 hook

I don't wonder you say 'alas' if you did catch it on Martins boilies....I would too, because that would mean I would have to buy some more, and @ Leslies price of £13.50 a kilo, I would be crying all the way to the shop :D:D

To think I used to buy my boilies in 10/20k batches....but not at those prices :p

Cheers, Dave.

I don't wonder you say 'alas' if you did catch it on Martins boilies....I would too, because that would mean I would have to buy some more, and @ Leslies price of £13.50 a kilo, I would be crying all the way to the shop :D:D

To think I used to buy my boilies in 10/20k batches....but not at those prices :p

Cheers, Dave.

Dave a quick search on ace baits site and you will get 10kgs of boilies with matching pop ups, paste,and a matching liquid to glug them all for £65, the only downside is the postage cost........................im kidding its free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! worth a punt I reckon:D

Dave a quick search on ace baits site and you will get 10kgs of boilies with matching pop ups, paste,and a matching liquid to glug them all for £65, the only downside is the postage cost........................im kidding its free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! worth a punt I reckon:D

I know Chris, I am well aware of the prices of boilie available from many suppliers (I have been buying them for the best part of 30 years :D).

The point I was making was the outrageous price of the boilies Russell said he caught his lovely fish on. They are not for me, but good luck to those who wish to pay that much. I should add that I have a great deal of respect for Martin Bowler, so making him rich is OK by me :D

No doubt they are available cheaper if you know where to go...I was just quoting Leslies price.

Thanks for the thought though.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
2 hrs mate. Only nipped out to get a break from a migraine. Will be going again later for a couple of hours at the magical time. The fishes head was huge, if not too big for her small frame

Well done Russell, opens the campaign with a nice bang,,,,,,,,,,,, pm you later.

Nick

Even if it were the case that you get what you pay for with boilies, £13.50 a kilo is outrageous. I also like Martin Bowler but I don't like greedy companies. Lovely early season fish.

Nick C

Do any of you think it looks odd? What is it with these "secret east midlands/anglian" Barbel. They have the size but are freaking ugly!

Cracking way to kick off your season. Hope to get my first tomorrow as the river should be dropping off nicely after the rain this morning, only a light shower forecast for tomorrow.

Back