• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Finally cracked the chair issues.

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
I’m sure at one point or another you’ve probably read a post or ten of mine moaning about fishing chairs. Or to be more precise roaming river chairs.
imo there isn’t a decent river chair in existence. (To buy new now)
by decent I mean in the 3kg weight category and will sit on all 4 legs on a 45° slope. Korum have just had another bash at it and it’s a disaster imo and I haven’t even sat on it. We don’t want reclining chairs for roaming and we don’t want those fixed position back legs.
Theve give us another 6 inch on the front and they call it a river chair 🤦‍♂️
ok stop ranting rich!!! Let’s go back 10 or more years....... Korum again but this time they had our product! unfortunately you had to buy it with this poxy rod sling that has less material on it than my mrs’s bra’s and an even more poxy bag that had the characteristics of a Tesco shopping bag...... but they had this chair in that roving kit. Maybe not to everyone but to me it’s the PERFECT roaming river chair. In the last few years and I dread to think how much money I’ve thrown at chairs, I’ve always had an eye out for one of these being sold without the other crap they came with. I bought a light weight accessory chair which is the same design pretty much apart from the fact at over 5kg it’s not light and it’s bulky.
this morning I’ve done a 2 hour round trip and picked up my little gem from an eBay er that agreed the sale for a reasonable price. (Secretly I’d of paid double to get one) got it home and had a play. I’ve only had it a couple hours and I’m just itching to write about it. It’s bloody awesome. These first pictures below say enough to start.
625406A4-086C-41F2-9C40-C1AD5C12B423.jpeg
2094342A-F9BB-48F7-8B40-612364CB247F.jpeg

but then my accessory chair will do that so we move on to the next picture!!!
76DF1923-313E-4D42-BCB4-6D76498C3383.jpeg

A shade over the 3kg Mark 😎😎😎😎
It’s almost perfect now but not quite. The thing about Korum roving chairs is they are designed to be carried with a bag on your shoulders.
the newer stuff doesn’t work well for me..... reason why is well for one you have to have a Korum ruck bag.
For 2 the straps on the ruckbag go over the top of the newer chairs and for big guys like me in big winter coats it’s too tight. I resorted to buying a fox ruck all in the end for chair carrying and that’s a great system.
This chair also has a great system. The chair has its own set of back pack straps. (Accessory chair doesn’t)
It also has two clips at the top of the straps that are designed to go round the top handle of a bag. Every bag has a handle and there for this wonderful little chair (didn’t know this until today) will hook up to any bag you like even a non rucksack type and you can carry them as a one piece system on your shoulders using the chair straps not the bag straps. Bloody amazing!!!
05D5AD0D-2CF7-4B3C-B008-0B32221F2310.jpeg
51349D05-3B55-4047-BEFC-DC2CBA3F4E97.jpeg
C19A86AB-E51D-4D1E-8125-C52A0AA895D4.jpeg
565548F9-E812-4768-A3E9-8C9ACD9FF837.jpeg

So I think or should I say hope this will probably be the last you’ll hear me winging about river chairs.
I hope Korum guys read this and think about putting these older better designs back out into the world. Not just in the roving kits but a product on its own for us light travelling river boys. They had it once and I’m over the moon that my search has finally come to a happy end. 😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊

Well done on finding one and worth the 2 hour trip,looks in very good shape as well.
I made a 5 hour round trip once for a rod I had to have coz the guy wouldn't post.

Excellent. You sound like me: have an idea about how i want my luggage/kit or whatever to function, then try multiple different bits of kit, buying all of them to find the right solution!

You are like any successful angler, very fussy about certain things!
Nothing irritates me more than when you go into a tackle shop and they haven't got what you want. They try to get you to buy something else and say, "This is better." NOT SO! I go elsewhere or buy online.

Like Richard, I have mixed, matched and adapted my gear to my needs, I will not go into end rigs, rods etc, but the larger items, bags, rucksacks, holdalls or quivers, seats etc can easily be adapted to my specific needs by judicious use of buckles, straps, etc, even as far as incorporating a sea rod quiver in my gear, , jet black and very good , more robust and sturdy than anything from an equivelent freshwater gear supplier. It does a better job than anything I have seen in the freshwater gear available .Not for everybody I know, but we are all different.

My roaming kit was just about perfect, but because the bag did not have a zipped or alternative top to stop the ingress of rain , I am now seeking a medium sized holdall / shoulder bag that is big enough to hold what I need ,robust and sturdy, keep out the elements, does not have multiple inside “pockets , which imo are just a pain, and will suit my needs. I have looked at the usual suspects , but nothing really catches my eye, plus, why are most things “Realtree” or camo, I dislike it , and gave up wearing that stuff when I left the forces, wannabee sas ( low case) anglers get my goat, and make me laugh .

So, looking for a holdall/ shoulder bag , not a rucksack , I have a Bergen which has seen a lot of “proper action” that is gathering dust, along with a Combat waistcoat, plus all molle bags and attachments.It all will stay in the loft.

I certainly do not want camo, just a nice matt green or brown, that suits my needs , and is not out of stock , this search is my current pastime. No hurry , I can wait, when it has not turned up I will buy the nearest thing and cut, stitch, adapt it to my needs.

I am no brand or label freak, if I find something for Ten pounds that does a same or better job for me ,than something with a fifty quid label because of a “brand name” then I will readily have it ,chances are that in probably 30% of cases it will be from the same manufacturers anyway.

David.

Yes, mine's very much the same, Richard. I acquired the extra-extending front legs via Ebay some years ago, and still have my original (not XL) ruckbag. It all still fits together, as intended.

Edit: actually, it's the older "lightweight" chair that I have, not the "roving" version, but looks almost identical.

Like Richard, I have mixed, matched and adapted my gear to my needs, I will not go into end rigs, rods etc, but the larger items, bags, rucksacks, holdalls or quivers, seats etc can easily be adapted to my specific needs by judicious use of buckles, straps, etc, even as far as incorporating a sea rod quiver in my gear, , jet black and very good , more robust and sturdy than anything from an equivelent freshwater gear supplier. It does a better job than anything I have seen in the freshwater gear available .Not for everybody I know, but we are all different.

My roaming kit was just about perfect, but because the bag did not have a zipped or alternative top to stop the ingress of rain , I am now seeking a medium sized holdall / shoulder bag that is big enough to hold what I need ,robust and sturdy, keep out the elements, does not have multiple inside “pockets , which imo are just a pain, and will suit my needs. I have looked at the usual suspects , but nothing really catches my eye, plus, why are most things “Realtree” or camo, I dislike it , and gave up wearing that stuff when I left the forces, wannabee sas ( low case) anglers get my goat, and make me laugh .

So, looking for a holdall/ shoulder bag , not a rucksack , I have a Bergen which has seen a lot of “proper action” that is gathering dust, along with a Combat waistcoat, plus all molle bags and attachments.It all will stay in the loft.

I certainly do not want camo, just a nice matt green or brown, that suits my needs , and is not out of stock , this search is my current pastime. No hurry , I can wait, when it has not turned up I will buy the nearest thing and cut, stitch, adapt it to my needs.

I am no brand or label freak, if I find something for Ten pounds that does a same or better job for me ,than something with a fifty quid label because of a “brand name” then I will readily have it ,chances are that in probably 30% of cases it will be from the same manufacturers anyway.

David.
You may have to fit a shoulder strap as it just has a pair of carrying handles but I’m pretty sure I have got the very bag you desire at home. (Baring a shoulder strap)
not big, not small. 2 compartments, no pockets or flaps or hooks etc.
thick rugged waterproof material and sealed with a zip.
not camo or real tree just a dark green brown colour that mash do. It’s an old mash bag.
I’ll be back this evening with some pictures.

David.
Some possible candidates in my over grown collection. A bit grubby but functionality wise they do exactly what they are meant to.
no1 Nash medium sized carry bag.
no frills at all just a quality bag with two compartments (can of pop for scale) main compartment is cool lined which I liked a lot for my summer drinks or bait etc. perfect condition. No shoulder strap though!! I’m sure a man of your talent could rectify that.
28CE6A45-627B-47BD-8923-165F66FB16C4.jpeg

9247B295-DE2C-4346-83C0-89EBF596232C.jpeg

No 2 Korum medium cool bag.
it’s an option but it doesn’t sound like what you want. Side pockets and mesh pockets and 2 front pockets and a lid pocket. I think it might piss you off. This has a carry strap though. Can of pop for scale. Again cool lined which I like. This one has some wear and tear but all works as it should.
778E7217-9157-4621-AF5B-7DD92073A2C3.jpeg
BACC5DF2-F12B-436E-A5E5-6F9E15AB9C8B.jpeg
A38B29F0-36C6-4AA6-A81B-8EB6B4954592.jpeg

3rd the Korum roving bag. This isn’t lined and it’s less frills with just a main compartment, 2 side pockets and a net bit on the front. This bad boy would swallow the mother in law! It’s a very light bag being unlined like the others but fill her to the brim and you ain’t roaming any more you’ll need some wheels.
it might be perfect if you wanna put two loafs of bread in there for the day. Again shoulder strap present. It’s one of those bags where it can be as light or as heavy as you want it to be.
Perfect condition like the Nash bag.
D0A80CDD-F38A-4598-AC8E-C2C49709BA70.jpeg
0E0892DF-FF15-480C-B82E-B3B99A79347F.jpeg

let me know @David Craine if any might tickle your fancy and we can sort the nitty gritty out via pm. 👍🏻

I've never understood why a Chris Brown type has not produced 'the chair' for river anglers - of course it would be a premium price but we'd pay that...dreading the day when my Korum finally falls apart.

I've never understood why a Chris Brown type has not produced 'the chair' for river anglers - of course it would be a premium price but we'd pay that...dreading the day when my Korum finally falls apart.
Yes exactly...... that’s exactly the sort of company that would be perfect for the job. A Chris brown river chair would no doubt be on every barbel anglers Christmas list.
I agree the cost wouldn’t matter if the product was right and designed for purpose.

Back