• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Feeding the swim

Ian Wetton

Could anybody offer any advice on feeding at this time of year ?

I'm spending most of my time on the Dove, where there are not masses of fish but a spread of nice size ones.

The old adadge that you can put more in, but you can't take out what you have put in is very true. Like you I am not fishing for 'masses of fish' Last winter did well with a new tactic. I baited sparcely with odds and bobs, meat chopped small, corn, and other left over baits. However I added liquidised bread and a few cans of mashed up Tuna. Felt I had a nice scent trail going and some drifting particles without filling up the fish. Nice and cheap and I pretty soon had confidence in what I was doing.
Shaun of the budget.

pretty much what shaun says for me

next to nothing even , right now the temps are so low they will barely move

so when they do , i want them to find my hook bait , thats if i was fishing for them in these temps , which i doubt it would

As soon as the weather breaks & there is a chance of a barbel taking a bait , I will resort to my tried & trusted 5 bait mesh bag of small boilies . Should I receive liners then the odd freebee will be loose fed over the top . I produce boilies comercially & whilst I wish to sell as many as possible I consistently cut my own throat by telling people that you don`t need to use many , but thats the truth , this time of year less is more !

As soon as the weather breaks & there is a chance of a barbel taking a bait , I will resort to my tried & trusted 5 bait mesh bag of small boilies . Should I receive liners then the odd freebee will be loose fed over the top . I produce boilies comercially & whilst I wish to sell as many as possible I consistently cut my own throat by telling people that you don`t need to use many , but thats the truth , this time of year less is more !

Hi Dave,
So you put 5 boilies in a bag ?
What is your thinking on the free offering if you are getting line bites ?

Yes Ian ,5 small boilies in a pva mesh bag . And the reasoning behind chucking a few freebees out if I receive liners is purely a confidence thing , it has 9 times out of 10 worked for me . I think that it can stimulate other fish to join in feeding , thereby creating competition .

Back