• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Feeder line

Daniel Earl

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all

Recommendations on a decent feeder line ? And float line in around 0.24 ish 6 or 8lb also want a float line a little lower but see that on another thread.

I’m well versed with higher cracking strains not so much the lower end.

Species crucian : smaller tench where present with crucian : chub : perch small f1 etc.

Preston seems good reviews and same with Dave Harrell just wanted some input every one will have the favourite I know but I’m on the dark out here which is good or not.

I for what ever reason don’t like daiwa st if that helps lol

Last edited:
I'm using Matrix horizon mono.. its excellent. I use it for float fishing for Barbel and all my Tench fishing. 0.24 is 12lb.

I always thought Sensor was cheap rubbish, but since trying it I am converted.

It has coped very well for me on rocky swims on the Ribble, and when I recently had to pull for a break, the 15lb line held up well and the size 10 hook snapped first, just below the barb.

It has coped very well for me on rocky swims on the Ribble, and when I recently had to pull for a break, the 15lb line held up well and the size 10 hook snapped first, just below the barb.
Hi Steve, are you using the original sensor ? or the newer hyper sensor ? i find the hyper much smoother and limper than the original, ( which i was a fan of ) without loosing any of its strength.

I've been using sensor (original) for both float fishing and legering for the best part of 20yrs. During that time i've tried lots of other monos and even braids and found I prefer sensor by a country mile.
I've never used hyper sensor, but if you look at the diameters, of the 6lb hyper and 4lb sensor as an example, the 6lb hyper is around the same diameter as 4lb sensor....but 4lb sensor breaks at around 6lb.
Another line I use for trotting and still water float fishing which imo comes a close second to sensor is bayer perlon. If you tie 6lb sensor to 6lb perlon the perlon the perlon snaps first, so sensor is that bit stronger. The only draw back (for me) with perlon is the cost, it isn't anything like as sensibly priced as sensor.

Back