• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Feeder improvements

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
I’m always looking at ways to make things better and my current line of cages are turning out really really nice at the moment. The only thing I can think of that would make them better would be to make the cage even stronger.
at the moment the cage is galv coated mild steel and once it’s double coated and set in the lead it’s very durable but can easily be deformed if you want to. Good thing is you can easily straighten it if it does deform.
today I changed the cage for a full stainless cage to try out. As far as I know others don’t use it probably because of the extra cost. Anyway it’s done what I expected. They are twice the strength as before now and if the coating does get damaged they are obviously a lot better corrosion resistant too so going forward I’ll be getting more of this stuff and offer stainless cages as a bit of a premium heavy duty range to those that would pay a little more for a stronger feeder. Not for everyone but if you ain’t losing them on every trip it’s worth spending a bit more on something even more durable.
some pics of the first prototypes in full stainless steel construction
BEB034D4-8D10-4E85-BDCE-7244B17B71B9.jpeg
6F514341-307D-43AD-8F0D-B410FF068A43.jpeg
24CDDDB8-305F-4CCC-BEFB-A00A46A56875.jpeg

They look well smart Richard, but by using stainless steel you may lose some adhesion at the coating/steel interface.
(Maybe stick a S/S one and a standard build one in the washing machine on a full cycle to check :eek: )

Nice👍 and great for snag free swims.

I like a feeder's mesh to be able to pull free from the "dead cow" in swims that have a risk of snagging you up. I reckon it's the cage that will snag most of the time, yours there I would fish fish on a rotten bottom or weak link. They do look the business though!

Nice👍 and great for snag free swims.

I like a feeder's mesh to be able to pull free from the "dead cow" in swims that have a risk of snagging you up. I reckon it's the cage that will snag most of the time, yours there I would fish fish on a rotten bottom or weak link. They do look the business though!
That’s a good point.
the steel cages I found when snagged you would often get them back but a bit bent and twisted and you just pulled them straight and slung them back out. The stainless is not going to do that as easily and as a result you could loose more.
I hate dead cows. They just from my experience are a pain. The lugs snap the leads get all mashed up and I’m bringing in bare cages much more often than I should be. I will always make mine as a complete unit.

Back