• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Feeder Ground Bait/Particles

Paul S Murray

Any suggestions on a decent feeder mix for small rivers? I've been using all different 'off the shelf' mixes over the past couple of years, but woul like to stick to a proven recipe. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I have never used an off the shelf mix, I just use Brown Crumb, with hemp, crushed pellet, or small feeder pellet, a few maggots, mixed with Mackerel oil and the water the hemp was boiled in, works for me, why fix what aint bust ?

Dave

Iv never bothered with groundbait I just fish using Pva bags on small rivers ;)

Cheers guys, some great alternatives to play with.
Graham, you still using the same mixed we used when we was on the bank a couple of years back? Thought you might have a new magic recipe you'd like to share!!!

Hi Paul.

Yes, basically with a bit of liquorice or sometimes aniseed essence.

Why change something they like? I have seen so many anglers change so many things that they end up up their own......

Graham

Last edited:
Get a huge bag of vitalin dog food for about £11,minx it up 1 part right out the bag to one part ground up,add some fishmeal to it and youve got the perfect barbel groundbait,ive used this in a cage feeder with pellets + hair rigged pellets on the hook and have pulled them out when people around me have blanked.

Iv never bothered with groundbait I just fish using Pva bags on small rivers ;)

Wayne, after watching a video by Guy Robb i think it was. I would never use pva bags again in running water. Your bait just doesn,t end up where you want/think it will be. I,ll try and dig it out, watch again, and give you more info about it. It was a real eye opener.

Think I saw a similar video on Barbel Ways Vol 4 and like you Derek I've not used Pva bags since. The only thing they didn't show was a feeder which seemed strange. I suppose use a method mix would be just as effective.

Wayne, after watching a video by Guy Robb i think it was. I would never use pva bags again in running water. Your bait just doesn,t end up where you want/think it will be. I,ll try and dig it out, watch again, and give you more info about it. It was a real eye opener.

I'm the same Derek seen the footage on you tube with bob Roberts!!!
So decided to do a few experiments myself where I fish which is small ( underarm chucks or lowering) n when the river was gin clear about 4 ft deep n normal flow I struggled to get the presentation I wanted or expected???? Now I'm not talking a raging River here can hold bottom with 1oz at the most????
I found that using a solid bag well it just waved around off the bottom frightening everything in the swim then just blew mid water.
Actually got away with stocking bag double wrapping them( but then gets rather expensive)
I did glug the stocking bags which helped while only wrapping them once but in saying that the river was right down so not a fair comparison.
Food for thought me thinks
Mark

Sonu Baits hemp & Hali with crushed ellipse, works for me! The sonu bait barbel bait range is also worth a look, find something you are confident in and stick with it.

Hi men,

Stocking stick type bags do work . We use them as much for their help in preventing tangles as much as putting a bit of bait in the swim . Tied to the lead they make a different type of splash when going in , but I do experiment a bit with feeder , mix moulded around the lead . The key with stick pva is to get the end that you nick the hook into to melt last . If you put a retarding pva friendly liquid ( barbel pro , or simular ) onto 1/3 - 1/2 the stick , and hook that bit when it melts in the swim the untreated section peels back like a banana depositing / releasing the bait before the stick breaks away . It's a good method , don't overlook it , watching underwater videos on any form of fishing shows just how poor we are at hooking fish / times they pick baits up !, and could effect your confidence in the way you fish .

Me and Sue do a lot of sight fishing , and in clear water have seen it all go on . Popups in one of the vids caught fish , our tap clear water observations showed us that on the Teme especially they scared the bloody life out of them ! , but others catch on them . We found as a snowman presentation they worked , and even better trimmed down as a balanced presentation caught some bonus fish for us last winter . The same goes for X-line , slaughtered on the vid , but did not match out findings / eyes , and we used it unchanged for 4 seasons .

As for groundbaits one thing that I like above the actual mix itself is to get alot of food liquid/ oils into it . Soluble food liquids work really well , and you can't really mess up the amount you put in , but again compared to advice we have found CSL not as great attractor on its own , but does come in very usefull blended with other attractors . Any of the multi mix pellets , and crushed pellet / hemp a good place to start .

Hatter

Back