• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Favourite River Report

Richard Parsons

As the river reports are brand new (at this time of year) I generally view them all; just to see what's going on. As the season goes by and the pages on each report mount up it gets difficult to keep up unless one is a very regular visitor.

So....my question is this: What is you favourite river report, for a river you don't fish? And why?

For me, despite the fact I'll probably never fish it, it's the Gt Ouse - for the reason that, for a river so steeped in barbel angling history, I yearn to read some good news. It's also funny that I always feel a bit intrusive when I view a non-fished river report.

The Ribble thread was very good value a few seasons back. Seems to have quietened down a bit now, still never to got to the bottom of why so many Ribble fishers all had the same avatar!?

I too also like the Yorkshire threads, with family roots in Yorkshire and a Yorkshire Mrs, I keep thinking about heading east on the M62 and having a dabble.

Gt Ouse same as you Richard and for the same reasons.
I haven’t fished it for many years now but we used to get a few nice ones out of it when I first moved up this end of the country in 2004. I fished it till 2010 and the ivel till 2016 and some of my most cherished fishing memories have come off those two rivers.
I always like to look in on that river report in the hope some good news starts to come back from it.

The Ribble thread was very good value a few seasons back. Seems to have quietened down a bit now, still never to got to the bottom of why so many Ribble fishers all had the same avatar!?

I too also like the Yorkshire threads, with family roots in Yorkshire and a Yorkshire Mrs, I keep thinking about heading east on the M62 and having a dabble.
there avatar was a picture of me hold a box .most of the lads have move off and are fishing else were or only going a few times a season to the ribble .we used to meet up and fish 3 or 4 times a week throught the season eat pies talk rubbish the fishing was always last.

I always look at the Severn because the last 3 years I’ve promised myself a trip there... haven’t fished it since 1980 ..... I’ll get there one day
The gt Ouse and the Ivel are sad beyond belief

I like the Dove thread gave up my BMAA ticket a few years ago but still like to see what it's fishing like. Hope to contribute to the Yorks rivers a bit this season. I have only fished the Ribble twice in two seasons can't see that changing much unless we have a dry winter without the monsoons of the last couple of seasons.

I met the lads once a few years back ....on the bank at Pershore on the Warks Avon, nice guys, think it was a starter rod and reel in the avatar, you can guess why it was probably used... :)

I still read the Dove reports. I used to fish it on a Burton Mutual book back in the early 70's. We used to get some nice chub and roach. One day my mate had a barbel. We had never seen one before. It must have been about 8ozs.

Was having a long chat with a chap still fishing the Ivel who said that the Chub fishing is still good on there ?

Was having a long chat with a chap still fishing the Ivel who said that the Chub fishing is still good on there ?
It is, there is plenty of chub in it to some serious sizes. I walk the common occasionally and see them.
There is still the odd couple of Big barbel kicking around in there if you persevere for them. It got stocked with 90 marked reasonably sized barbel in there about 18 months ago but I’ve not heard of any caught mind.
It doesn’t produce like it did for two obvious reasons
The otters pulled quite a few of them out including the very big one and it doesn’t get much angling attention nowadays because of that So no captures are recorded.
people were joining ipa clubs just to fish the Biggleswade stretches and just to catch that fish that came out every year. I saw it come out at over 19 once and I’ll be honest she looked tired and whether the otters got her or not she wasn’t gonna last forever. It’s a fact stocks are low and it’s a fact that river suffered a lot of casualties but I do believe if there was more angling presence on it we would still be hearing of a few decent fish coming out of it occasionally just not to the extent that it once was.

I live in the US so don’t get to fish any of the rivers now but still check out the forum at least weekly. Mainly follow the Hampshire Avon, Dorset Stour and Kennet as the rivers I used to fish but honestly now they make me sad. Always check the Severn and Wye as well just because they seem to have the most action and who knows one day I might be back and need to live somewhere in that area. Tight lines.

My 'home' river the Bristol Avon is perhaps the one river more than any other I want to see come back to where she was a few years ago. Is there is a better more diverse river in the country ?

We have been blessed with some unique rivers in this country, chalk streams, great tidal rivers, and intimate little rivers that hold surprisingly big fish, and a diverse wildlife.

However we have not protected these rivers, and have tapped into the very life of them with abstraction and polluted them without any cause for concern, We allow terrible carnage to be inflicted with illegal bankside clearance, and if that is not enough we release 1000's of Otters to run amok and wipe out fish stocks..

Most of the public do not care or are even aware of the state of our rivers, and yet we as Anglers persist, but are seen as the problem, unless something is done now, nature will be just too overwhelmed.

Back