• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Evidence of predation of fish

Mike Hodgkiss

Not strictly about Barbel but I couldn't think where else to put this question . On my last couple of trips to a local small stream I have noticed a number of fairly neat piles of fish scales [ chub] left at the waters edge . Now I immediately thought of otters / mink as the culprits ,but in my experience they are messy eaters leaving bits of carcass and fins lying about , here there was nothing just scales .I couln't detect any footprints, however the area had been rained upon recently which didn't help . I thought maybe rats had polished off the leftovers , but even so I would have thought they would have left some trace . The only thing I could think of was humans catching fish , despatching them , doing the messy de scaling on the bank and then having them away for tea .

I hope I am wrong with this but can't really think of another explanation . Do any of you have any thoughts on this ? Perhaps Yorkshire Otters / mink are just particularly tidy eaters . It's all a bit worrying and has me puzzled . Please note this is not some oblique attempt at starting up the otter debate I think that has been well and truly done to death

Mike...The leftover fish Scales on the bank is quite common down here in Hampshire and Dorset. However, some large barbel, pike, carp and big perch with the Otter damage, to where the throats and guts are ripped out and the rest of the body left, have been found in the very same areas as the patch of scales over recent years.
In my opinion, you are correct that other predators and scavengers feed on the leftovers, and probably foxes take the bodies away somewhere.

You are also correct about individuals filleting and de-scaling the fish on the bank to where scales are left and scattered.

If the were Chub scales and human predators they must be pretty desperate for something for tea....Chub are pretty awful eating, even Issac himself had to admit that!
And I can't imagine why they would want to de scale a fish on the bank. If you want to get a Chub fit to eat, then gut it on the bank, take it home and soak it for at least two hours in clean water, then poach it gently in a broth with a selection of herbs. Still tastes disgusting, but better than a Big Mac.

Pete...There is also evidence down here that the fish are sometimes cooked on the bank... and not by otters that is.

Mike,
I witnessed the same thing on The Derwent on the first day of the season.
Again a pile of Chub scales big ones at that and no sign of a carcase.
Could it be possible that a bird... Heron? Kite? gulls take off with the carcase and leave the scales behind.
Ken.

Interesting.
Noticed last year on the Ouse a few areas some 10 yards from the river where opened swan mussel shells where left. Any ideas?

Mike

2006 and 2007 on a certain small river to the west and north-west of London: piles of scales (bream, chub, roach, perch and small pike). Reason for these discovered after a root around in some nearby brambles and / or nettles: remains of the use-once barbecues that you see for sale in garage shops etc. So, in these cases, then ... E.E.s.

Mike...Not sure what takes the swan mussels. When i used to fish Adams Mill and a few other places, there were literary thousands of empty shells washed up or close to/ the banks, especially after winter floods. This was before the otters were present/re-introduced.

Christ who or whatever finds the need to eat a chub for sustenance must be damned desperate.
Last season I had a small one nailed by a pike whilst I was bringing it in. So I promptly stuck it on a trace while partially alive but even the offending pike never had another go until I replaced it with a roach.

The stench from chub's flesh literally is foul!!:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Mike and Ken reading your river reports I'd be tempted to keep an eye on whatever is catching these fish. Surely if they are human you could do with asking them for a few tips :D :D :D: :D ;)

Very droll Conrad .:) I often speak to the otters and ask for tips re fish location , but I get the usual reply , ''loose lips sink ships '' as they paddle away with a disdainful flick of there tails . I take there advice and press on , with only the odd crow if I catch anything really big , so far this season the silence has been roaring ....

i also came across loads of scales on a river west of london, in the closed season, some 2 years ago, i also found line, used BBQ'S, bread rapers and beer cans of a EE nature scattered nearby,make what you want of this, nearby,
i found a fixed line with a nasty looking barbed hook, on the end tied on this line was a battery, large type.

Last edited:
Otters will certainly leave piles of scales. They also eat lots of swan mussels and crayfish. Apparently, on the Broads it's not unusual to find the remaining mussel shells, though I've not seen it myself, as I rarely fish there nowadays.

Very good Conrad,brigthened up a dismal day!
At least when I get a fish on the hook doesnt pull out!!
Want to share tactics?
By the way what is a tentative bite?
Ken.

Last 5 barbel stayed on Ken so things looking up :) A tentative bite is what I have just witnessed I believe ;)

Conrad

Last edited:
It must be those Admiralty pattern hooks Conrad, that did the trick....

Nope I think that you are right John I wasn't paying attention to how I was tying the knotless knot. Sometimes I is simple so a simple solution is best.

Conrad

Have found the same thing on the Teme, small "neat" piles of chub scales, no carcass and not too far away a willow stave still pushed into the bank with the end of a braid set line still attached. No doubt in my mind what had taken those fish...

Back