• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Estuary fishing

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
Well, we are in the second half of our break in Padstow, the weather has been horrendous,strong NNW winds,and heavy rain showers.
When we come here, I always bring my beach gear and rods /reels suitable for fishing from the harbour wall, always short 2 or 3 hour sessions from the harbour as it is minutes from the flat , I have had many good Bass to about 7lbs in years past from the harbour outer arm using either a travel spin rod, or a simple travel 2.5 TC carp rod.

This year I am doing nothing different but the Bass seem to be absent, however I have been catching lots of Scad on the Bass baits. which is a nuisance, but they do fill a void, much like chub when Barbel are absent.

I have a feeling that the constant showers are filling the estuary with fresh water , pushing the Bass out to sea, I do know Bass are tolerant of higher levels of freshwater so this really leaves me pondering what to do next, the coast where I usually fish is unfishable due to the winds, and the water temperature is a lot lower than previous years ,so really I am a bit jinxed.... but...... I have a feeling that maybe the Mullet may oblige , so, if the rain will stip long enough I may even try some breadflake over mashed bread groundbait, anything could happen .

David.

Back