• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Englands (or Wales) healthiest river.

Colin Gordon

No Longer a Member
Just wondering what others thought was the healthiest river in England and what would lead you to this conclusion; a lack of predation, very little abstraction, low (or no) levels of pollutant discharges, high levels of natural flora and fauna, huge fish stocks, no invasive species.....

You decide and then say where (if at all) your local/favourite river falls short of this ideal??

Last edited:
Just a technicallity Clarkie ! LOL !

Show me ANY river without 'Invasive' species and I'll show you a river in Scotland or West/North/Mid Wales.........

In England they simply don't exist.......

Thought the Wye would be mentioned.

Begs the question, which is the least healthiest river and which river has seen the biggest recent decline in health / form say over the last 5 years ?

D.

Do you Mean a perfect river that suits the person fishing it,,,,,or a healthy river in general Colin ?????.

I was leaving it up to the individual too define their perception of what 'healthy' is or is not.

Andrew, seems your spelling of my local stagnant ditch is equally bad as Dave's, its actually the Ah-well!!:D:D
(some say; TUT, Ah-well)

And without wishing to influence peoples judgement of a healthy river, it fills none of the criteria, well unless you only include bankside flora, from 50 yards away it truly is picture postcard.
Up close, hmm, water clarity best described as akin to weak black coffee.:eek::mad::(

Dave, its been in decline a lot longer than five years, admittedly five years back it was at a real peak for big chub but barbel stocks dwindling on being gone! Minnows, bleak, dace and gudgeon the same.
Roach numbers seriously low......

Last edited:
it's been on the turn like sour milk for a least 10 col.
but back on a more positive the wye seems to be doing well and so did the wandle is a success story.

Last edited:
And meanwhile we have "I want to build all over a river's floodplain and, between you and me, b' up the river (think of all the much-needed and -praised private enterprise, all the job creation etc), but am prepared to build a few ponds and shove up a few trees by way of compensation" new "Policy" greenwash like this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/may/28/uk-conservation-credits-scheme-thames

Turkeys voting for Christmas - you, me, all of us...

Back