• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Elliptical shaped pellets

Neil Blood

Does anyone still make/supply elliptical shaped pellets?

I’m well aware that the elliptical shaped pellets came from the aquaculture feed industry, with the logic being that they offered a slower sink rate through fish farm cages. This lead to less feed waste and for whatever reason the aquaculture feed industry abandoned this shaped feed in recent years.

This is the only one I can find, but not sure I want to try it.

I heard the elliptical shape came about by a malfunction on a machine (at Hinders??) that was knocking out standard shape pellets and they just went with them as a flat pellet that would stay in faster flows longer.

Just something I heard and may be utter bollox??

I heard the elliptical shape came about by a malfunction on a machine (at Hinders??) that was knocking out standard shape pellets and they just went with them as a flat pellet that would stay in faster flows longer.

Just something I heard and may be utter bollox??

It’s as I described in the original post, the majority of high oil pellets come from the aquaculture industry and not from bait companies who simply repackage them. The elliptical shape was supposed to slow the sink rate through the fish farm cages, but for whatever reason that thinking changed.

It’s as I described in the original post, the majority of high oil pellets come from the aquaculture industry and not from bait companies who simply repackage them. The elliptical shape was supposed to slow the sink rate through the fish farm cages, but for whatever reason that thinking changed.
I'll take your word for it👍

This is the only one I can find, but not sure I want to try it.
Is there a reason you don't want to try it 🤷‍♂️

Back