• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Elip pellets

Brian Willson

Senior Member & Supporter
I have been using Elip pellets for many years, i have had no problems from this great bait, but my latest bulk buy which i received about two months ago seems different, the 10mm size seems darker in colour and stinks like !!!!!
you know what, is it my age, or my nose, has anyone noticed the same problem.
I have stopped using the ground elip because once it's on your clothing, it's one hell of a job to get rid of the smell.
All the bait was purchased from Hinders.
Brian Willson Throop Bailiff.

Brian, I noticed the change, the larger size were slightly bigger too, however have been catching just the same so hasn't worried me.

Hi Brian,

On my first batch of these from Hinders, so can't really comment on the colour, but I know what you mean about the ground elips...that is ruddy lethal, isn't it :D

Not only that, but as mentioned in a previous thread, the ground stuff is extremely difficult to make into a decent paste, due probably to it's incredibly oily nature. It will undoubtedly be possible with a suitable binder, but as I have had no joy at all when using it in other applications, I haven't bothered.

Did you have any joy using the ground stuff, say in a feeder for instance? I caught using the pellets alone, but adding the powder seemed to kill the swim :eek: I wondered if the smell was too overpowering in the ground form, but it's probably only me :D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Hi Dave,
no i did not have much success with the ground pellet, i did make up some paste just using river water, i found this ok to put around the pellet, but again it did not improve the catch rate, i think i will stick with the bait dropper and hemp, with 10mm elip over the top, i have not got a lot of choice with the 10mm as i have a big sack of it.
Brian

Hi Dave,
no i did not have much success with the ground pellet, i did make up some paste just using river water, i found this ok to put around the pellet, but again it did not improve the catch rate, i think i will stick with the bait dropper and hemp, with 10mm elip over the top, i have not got a lot of choice with the 10mm as i have a big sack of it.
Brian

Hi again Brian,

Yes, a paste made up as you describe is OK, just to wrap around your bait, where it is intended to break down reasonably rapidly, but as a stand alone hook bait type paste, it is a non starter.

I think your sack of pellets will serve you well enough though Brian, I don't see a lot wrong with them in that form...and I suspect the ground stuff would be fine if used as an additive to a bulk base....perhaps too overpowering on it's own?

Cheers, Dave.

Hi guys I'm new to the forum and this is only my 3rd season fishing for barbel. I've recently started using ground elips pellets in my multimix and it's increased my catch rate significantly. I only use a small amount along with a splash of elips oil. Does stink though.

Not had any problems with the elips 11mm, slight variation in colour but still fairly much the same bait and same properties.

To make the paste it is best to mix with fresh egg in small batches (enough for a session at a time) with a small amount of fishmeal to help with binding.

Barbel bomb has ground elips already in it, but for added attraction i mix ground elips 50/50 with barbel bomb. It makes a supeb oily groundbait.

I'll apologise now as it was me that encouraged Brian Jarret to make ground elips available, so you can blame me for your stinky episodes in the kitchen or on the bank. It works though.

Paul

Hello Brian, you have a point with the change of size of Elipse pellets but I think they are now far better as one pellet can easily be drilled and presented on a size 10! I think the smell that you are referring to is a result of them being a bit more oily! In summer this is no problem and indeed I have had more fish so far this season than previous ones! It remains to be seen wether this trend continues when the water temp drops!!

Brian

The barbel I caught whilst sat next to you yesterday was caught on an elips pellet, if I had known it was too big I wouldn't have used it!!!!.

P.S. The biscuits with tea went down well.

Brian, further to my previous comment, I also use ground Elipse in a 'stick mix' but I grind my own, It's much cheaper than buying the ground stuff from hinders and allows me to vary the consistency to suit. You will find it cheaper to buy pellet in bulk and then grind some of it. I bought an old fashioned cast iron hand operated mincer from Oxfam for £1.50! It has changeable blades to make the mix finer or coarser giving a really good mix of pellet particles and it's really quick (2 min=1kg). I also only use it in small mounts as an attractor and reckon it will be brilliant in cold water to attract without over feeding or flood conditions at any time of year, although perhaps a less oily pellet would be better for cold water conditions.

Hi Keith,

The success you have had with your method of using ground elips as part of a stick mix, or using only small quantities as an attractor kind of ties in with my thoughts about the stuff.

I have tried balling it in on its own, and using it in fairly large quantities (on its own) in a feeder, and that does NOT seem to be the way to go...at least not in a small river situation. My feelings are that in it's ground state, the flavour release, if introduced in fairly large quantities is too intense....either that, or the fact that it breaks down into tiny particles instantly on introduction means that it washes very quickly downstream, taking the fish with it (which again points to the sense in your varied size particles achieved with your home ground gear).

I feel sure that using it as PART of a mixture, either with other particles, as in your stick mix, or mixed with varied sized pellets works best. Certainly, on small rivers at least, if it is used on it's own, sticking to smaller quantities seems favourable. Interesting though, how peoples experiences vary on this....bit like any other branch of our great sport I guess, lol.

It certainly gives us something to kick around while we are not on the banks, thats for sure!

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Back