• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Edgar sealey 12ft fishing rod

Jerry Gleeson

my brothers just bought a job lot of fishing gear and one of the rods was an edgar sealey and i was wondering if anyone new much about them.

this is the rod

GEDC0019.jpg

cheers
jerry

The bag looks similar to the one I have but the rod looks slightly older. I bought the ten foot swing tip verson in the mid 1970's. Having had a break of over 25 years from the sport, I threw it in the car with some old bits of tackle for a family holiday in Shropshire and caught an 8lb carp on it (a pb at the time!). I've never looked back since. However, despite spending a fortune on rods/reels/everything since, I caught my best Chub (5lb 15oz from the Swale) when using it as a second rod a few winters ago. I've no idea if your rod is worth anything, but I'm sure it will catch fish!

Jerry, I can only tell you that Edgar Sealey were 'the' match rod to have in the seventies and the 'Blue Match' and 'Black Match' were very expensive for the time but brilliant rods!
P.S. I will be up your way this weekend (unfortunately only visiting the inlaws in Gee Cross) always watch the Goyt post with interest as I fished PM about 20 years ago as a purely exsploritary trip whilst the mrs went shopping and loaded up on Chub!!

I had a Blue Match when I was a kid. It met it's demise when I was too lazy to break it down before coming home one day and simply strapped it along the crossbar of my bike. I followed my usual route home, and turned onto the pavement just before home. By the time I realised that the 13ft of fibre-glass sticking out in front of my front wheel had caught in the hedge it was too late - it bent double and the centre section shattered! I was gutted. I still have the tip and butt sections.

I've since bought another one, complete, from ebay - I paid £10 + postage.

They may have been state of the art in the 70s, but they're very heavy compared to today's "wands".

R.

Looks to me like a 'black arrow' but possibly rerung as I think the wippings where a yellow gold colour.
It should have the name and logo just above the handle,if it hasnt it could well be a local rod in a sealy bag as it was not umcommon for local dealers to create thier own rods using blanks bought from the then vibrant english tackle companies,such as Sealeys Modern Arms etc.
May have been THe rod to have in the early seventies but were surpassed by the ABU mk 5 and then the 6 which pushed the boudaries of glass fibre into a new heavy weight world.I have both in the loft and wonder how we used to fish with them four five hours.
Ken.

The Edgar Sealey 2 piece float/ledger with the swing tip top eye,was the first new rod I had in the early 70's.It even got pressed into service together with my then new Intrepid Supertwin reel catching dabs off the end of Folkestone arm,when cross channel ferries went from there.I've still got it tucked away in the shed somewhere,doubtful that it will see action again despite the interest in 'old school'.

Pete.

Edgar Sealey

I too had a Blue Match as a kid. It was a 12ft and bought for me by my dad who used a 13 footer for many years. Same rod bag but the blank was coloured blue though so I suspect that yours is a different model unless its been stripped back to the blank and re-whipped.

We stopped using our rods when some scrote stole all our rods when the house was burgled. My dad always yearned for another one but they were a rod of their time and would be super-heavy now compared to the rods of today.

I doubt that its worth much in £s and pence but give it a whizz, you might like it!

From the whippings, the rod below looks like a Diawa float rod with screw in top eye. One of these was my first hollow glass rod. Took me to the next level. Cast a float miles and play Tench on light gear. Still have it, will never throw it away.#
Shaun

Back