• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

EA Bait production...... Anyone remember???

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter
About 45 years ago, if memory serves me correctly, the Environment Agency actually produced at bait mix that could be moulded.
Almost black in colour.

It worked really well on tricking the carp at the difficult South Lake in Woodley Berks. As well as some notable Tench.

Anyone old enough to remember it? The name?

Would love to get the recipe.

About 45 years ago, if memory serves me correctly, the Environment Agency actually produced at bait mix that could be moulded.
Almost black in colour.

It worked really well on tricking the carp at the difficult South Lake in Woodley Berks. As well as some notable Tench.

Anyone old enough to remember it? The name?

Would love to get the recipe.
If you’re after it Graham it must be good stuff…put me s down for a bucketful 🤣

There was a late ‘70’s carp bait marketed as ‘Black Magic’. Are you thinking of that ?

It was sold as a powder and made a sticky mess when rehydrated -but it caught fish.

It was sold by Dick Weale and Len Bunn - two top carpers from East Anglia. Not sure about any EA connection except maybe the geographical one !

Wondered how long....

No seriously, with the average age of members on here someone must remember it, excepting those that tried the other stuff.😀

There was a late ‘70’s carp bait marketed as ‘Black Magic’. Are you thinking of that ?

It was sold as a powder and made a sticky mess when rehydrated -but it caught fish.

It was sold by Dick Weale and Len Bunn - two top carpers from East Anglia. Not sure about any EA connection except maybe the geographical one !
Not that Tim. This was a block that was pliable.

It was definitely a Regulating body that sold it.

It had a faint liquorice smell

It was worth a try !

I can’t recall any other black baits that were sold commercially.

A friend and I made a dark coloured bait a few years back in an effort to dissuade bird life from finding the bait. Only problem was that the dark additive was really strong and at that level the carp wouldn’t eat it ! Once we worked out the issue and reduced the level by 75% we had a really good bait. But it wasn’t black…….

Graham, if anybody knows it would be Lord Wilson.
I asked Dave Steuart today, as he was here, but never sold it in the shop. Fred Wilton and Brian Harris to ask yet.

Will send Mike a message

It's really annoyed me not to find out so far.
Hoped some of the OAPs on here could remember, so not too hopeful.

RH did a bait that was black, sweet and spicy with Ultraspice and Leaf Spice EA back in the 2000's. One of his mixes was black and sticky I seem to remember?
Cheers
Bob

EDIT more like the 80's

Last edited:
Back