• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Drop shotting

Derek Funcks

Senior Member & Supporter
Can anyone please explain, in layman's terms, exactly, what this method of fishing consists of. As far as i'm aware, ( and i'm probably wrong ) its basically ledgering underneath your feet, using a long thin weight to get the bait down. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks guys/gals. ;)

Many thanks Neil, i've watched many of Des's video clips, but as much as i love them, he doesn't exactly show you how to set your end tackle up. What i need, and probably others need, is a close up, of how to set up your end tackle/rig. From the video clip, he looks like he is just casting the rig out then reeling in slowly. Is this normal practise. Many Thanks.

Hi Derek,

Basically, the drop shot hook (I like the Sabpolo Wormer pattern) is tied on with a palomar - there are other knots you can use too - with the bend pointing upwards. The weights have a an eye that just pinches the line so no need for a knot.

Plenty of other information on Youtube if you just search for 'drop shotting'. Alternatively the Lure Anglers Society forum has a lot of information too.

PM if you need more info.

Dave

Just another take if your thinking of trying the method, personally it bored me senseless and instead I used the purchased dropshot rod and 1000 sized reel, to chuck small rubber jigs round my local canals, which I found much more interesting. Results to date include Perch to 2.6lb, Chub to 4.6lb and Jacks to 7lb.

Also as an alternative to expensive Fox and Korum end tackle (which the tackle shops are currently full of), check out AGM Lures online, which offer a fab selection at a great price (refund unused posting charges too).

Neil

Hi Derek, I have been playing around with LRF ( another name for dropshotting ) for a few months, and tbh, it doesnt really float my boat.. its OK id you want to fish for micro species, with the occasional half decent fish thrown in. It can be done either in fresh or salt water. Freshwater.... it seems mostly little footballer Perch are the main targets, in the sea you can catch anything that swims within casting range, from Rock Gobies to flatties..most lures are small soft plastics, which are dropped directly "down the side" or fished on a basic line,sliding lead to stop, and hook trace.The"down the side" tactics are to drop the light sinker down the side of the canal wall, or similar and gently vibrate the rod rop to make the lure(s) wobble, when casting the lure which can be a small plastic, or a small metal lure, are is very slowly retrieved along the bottom or mid water,again making it look like something edible. Basically that is it, although hardened LRF ers would argue the point, and give varying descriptions, a bit like carp fishing, the latest shiny dogsnads complicated rig will only fish as well as a basic ledger, but those shall we say who think they are "in the know " will argue all day long that complicated is best etc.

This may help ..it gives the basics..

Drop shot fishing

If you have a go,good luck, it does fill in a coupe of hours on a boring afternoon....its only spinnng / lure fishing with very light tackle really.

Dave

Hi Derek . As per some of the posts above light jigging seemed better to me. Found company art of fishing very helpful.
Cheers Neil

Many thanks lads, lots to look at/watch. Just fancied trying something a bit different, during the close on the rivers. :)

I've done quite a lot of drop shotting over the last three seasons and find it really enjoyable. Minimal tackle, roving about dropping into various tight little spots. Had stacks of perch on the method with plenty of 2's and a few 3's each season. Although I do use plastics a fair bit, I tend to favour a real lobworm, especially where they've seen a few plastics. Give it a go is my advice.

Nick C

I love my dropshot fishing, i've had 100s of 2lb plus perch with quite a few 3s upto nearly 4lb while doing it. The fact you need minimum gear and travel so light makes it great for short session fishing, after or before work for an hour or two.

Back