• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Drop nets

Jamie Warren

Evening all, hope your getting out in the bank, I have a question. I’ve got a tasty looking weir on one of my tickets, but you can’t get near the weir pool because of the high sides. Has anyone ever fished places like this and used a drop net? I’m be used them plenty fishing from piers in the uk and america, just wondering if anyone has done anything like this .

By the way not taking the high moral ground here as I’ve seen them in Bass Pro in Florida and the look perfect for getting live baits but I’m sure I researched it and it was a no go

Fishing at all costs, every one i have seen using a drop net on a river, has been some skank etc in my eyes. Putting fish safety absolutely know where and their life on a thread. Not my type of people.
I spoke to an angler who said he had fished one of the swims on gunthorpe island, and could just about reach down to land a fish,when pulling it up it would be wriggling in the net and knocking itself against the wall ☹ said he wouldn't fish there again 👍

I spoke to an angler who said he had fished one of the swims on gunthorpe island, and could just about reach down to land a fish,when pulling it up it would be wriggling in the net and knocking itself against the wall ☹ said he wouldn't fish there again 👍
Sounds like a bad idea tbh, just wondering if anyone had come up with a way

I don't know how they get away with it tbh.... wonder if the Canal and River Trust have risk assessed this? Probs a couple of phone calls would get fishing there banned...... Great 💡

Back