• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Drennan Series 7 Tench and Specimen float

Terry Simner

Senior Member & Supporter
Anyone on here used one for waggler/float fishing for barbel (on the Severn for instance)? If so, how'd it do? Got one, but have only ever used if for tenching.

I had one and it was my first choice if I was fishing specifically for bigger barbel or Salmon on the float. Unfortunately I broke the tip and couldn't get a replacement immediately so settled for the carp waggler which was available. It's OK but a bit heavier, I'd swap back tomorrow to the tench and specimen though.
Still prefer the Super tench float to both but love the convenience of having the rod set up ready to go.

Hi Terry
I have a couple of these rods, I use them for fishing the stick float on the Stour at Throop for the Chub.
The river here is not very wide and a hooked Chub over the 4lb mark finds it easy to head for a bankside snag, so these rods have the power to put a stop to the Chub making a beeline for the vegetation .
They also come with their own bag and can be carried already made up into two pieces with a short dolly handle the slips into a side pocket inside the carry case.
5lb main line, plus a 4lb leader and an 18/ 12 hook with a 4gram Olivetti.
Thumbs up from me.
Although the Chub at Throop can exceed 6/7 lb I think that these rods would not stop a Barbel when its on its first run, a 1.5 lb test rod would be more suitable.
Brian.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Brian. Yes I've fished the Throop many times so can see where you're coming from:). But chubbing on the Stour is a bit different than barbelling on the Middle Severn. I was just thinking that I may be a little 'under-gunned'. But I guess, as long as the tackle is balanced, the Drennan would handle most situations eh.
ATB
Terry

Back