• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Drennan Series 7 Avon Quiver

George Maltby

Hi chaps,

After an unsuccessfully search for a second fox duo lite Avon to make a pair I managed to find a good deal on a pair of the above in 11ft 1.25lb TC for my light Stillwater ledger outfit. Specifically for perch tench and roach at short to medium range with bobbins/alarms. Also probably a bit of small river work when my 12ft fox Avon is a bit cumbersome (jungle swims).
Has anyone used them for similar and how did you rate them?

They haven't arrived yet and I was wondering if I should have waited for another fox to turn on the bay. Mind you for the price I got them I can move them on and break even.

Cheers all.

George,I have been using the 11ft drennan series 7 for both commercial perching with the Avon top,and small river chubbing with the quiver tip.I have found both to be superb with a nice soft action but with reserves of power near the butt.Graphics may seem a little garish with bright almost pink lettering,but build quality looks excellent as with all drennan rods,and the cork handle is well finished also

That's good news mate. I hate graphics on rods so tend to bind them in dark insulating tape anyway, or just remove them if I have no intention of moving the rods on down the line.
How do you think they would go for medium distance tenching on the quivertips or bolt rigged maggot feeders? Enough grunt to get a decent sized feeder out their to 30-50yrds (2-3oz when full)? I have some 1.75s that I can use for this but would prefer to use a lighter rod if possible.

George,the most I've chucked out with the lightest quiver is a 50gram kamasan feeder,when loaded probably equates to 2 ounces.It does that quite comfortably at a range of 40-50 yards,so with the heavier tip supplied it could obviously cope with more

I was recommended this rod by a member on here for chubbing and can honestly say its one of the best rods I`ve ever owned. Absolutely love it!

Yeah agreed. Just used mine for the first time for a stillwater perch session. Zero perch unfortunately but tested the action on some bream and casting big maggot feeders. Perfect for the job as they have just a little more guts than my fox avon, punching feeders out far better. Very happy with them.

Back