• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dolphins

Adam Rawson

Had a couple of days in South Cornwall with the wife this week, didnt get to fish too much but did manage a bass.

Highlight of the trip was a couple of Dolphins that danced around in the bay while we watched

Managed to grab some shakey footage of them eating flatties.

Cornwall Dolphins Hunting & Playing - YouTube - (choose 720p under setting for better quality)

Adam

If they impressed you Adam, you need to head up to Chanonry Point, just north of Inverness.

There is a large pod of dolphing living up there, and they come in so close to the shore that you end up getting wet when they jump!

My daughter has one of them addopted, and we went up a couple of years ago....
Its simply stunning, and was well worth the long drive up there!

A couple of photos that I took.....

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

Steve

That pod of dolphins has been there for years Steve, I first saw them thirty five years ago when I was stationed just down the coast at Lossimouth. The reason they come so close in is because the shingle beaches drop almost vertical to around 50 feet deep and the bait fish hug the coastline as it is the only cover.

I was up there again last year across the water at Fort George, I love that part of the British Isles, it's like time has stood still and the last three decades never happened.

Yes Ade, I'm aware there has been Dolphins in the area for years, but its only quite recent that the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society have started monitoring and documenting the pod around the Moray Firth.

I have to agree with you about the area tho... stunning!!!

Steve

Try Cardigan bay Dave, it's full of them, a nice 5Lb sewin free lined round one of the estuaries should get you hooked up in no time.

Lot's of nuicences though - Seals! Minds you, they do pull back a bit! Bit like a river carp - wrong species, much fun all the same!

Back