• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

DIY speci waggler

Alex Constantinou

Hi all,

First post/new member so hopefully this is the right section for this!

I'm thinking of making some speci wagglers for some float fishing fun and to kill some time until normality returns. I've made pole floats and reed wagglers previously but can't find much info on speci waggler sizing. Is anyone able to offer any advice on dowel sizing and float length at all? I'm primarily thinking of the middle Severn but I also fish a a few smaller rivers so I'm aiming for a range between 2AAA - 2SSG(ish).

All the best.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm going to have a play with some 16 & 19mm balsa dowel and see how I get on.

DH floats are of a very good quality (I have a fair few stick floats of his) but catching on something you've made can't be beaten! Whether or not they're any good remains to be seen but making them should help to kill some time at least!

Thanks for the replies!

I'm going to have a play with some 16 & 19mm balsa dowel and see how I get on.

DH floats are of a very good quality (I have a fair few stick floats of his) but catching on something you've made can't be beaten! Whether or not they're any good remains to be seen but making them should help to kill some time at least!
Hi Alex

Have a look at this Facebook group where you will find lots of info from like minded people.

I have indeed, the page looks perfect. Definitely plenty of ideas on there to keep me entertained for a good while. Thanks again for your help.

UTV. No idea how to make a float. I know Dave’s are the best. Had to comment though as good to see a villa fan on the forum.

UTV. No idea how to make a float. I know Dave’s are the best. Had to comment though as good to see a villa fan on the forum.

UTV! It's the lack of football that's got me making floats again. I can't be doing with all this time and nothing to do. You should give float making a go, it's not too difficult. If you don't fancy turning bodies on a lathe you can buy parts to assemble.

UTV! It's the lack of football that's got me making floats again. I can't be doing with all this time and nothing to do. You should give float making a go, it's not too difficult. If you don't fancy turning bodies on a lathe you can buy parts to assemble.
I live in the US now - haven’t used a float in years, been spending all my time tying flies.

Attachments

• 216DDFD1-E181-40AA-906A-A2DC08CFB1D0.jpeg
    216DDFD1-E181-40AA-906A-A2DC08CFB1D0.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 268
Anyone thinking of having a go should definitely do it while we have time on our hands! I bought a mini lathe for £35 off eBay last week and I’m addicted to it! Started off making a mini crucian float out of a pigeon feather I found in the garden

Attachments

• 2D0C50F4-B5D3-4CB1-BAAB-CA7E132AE3D7.jpeg
    2D0C50F4-B5D3-4CB1-BAAB-CA7E132AE3D7.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 333
Anyone thinking of having a go should definitely do it while we have time on our hands! I bought a mini lathe for £35 off eBay last week and I’m addicted to it! Started off making a mini crucian float out of a pigeon feather I found in the garden

I've not got a lathe just yet but after making a few speci wags out if some dowel I had I'm definitely considering buying one.

Nice work on the float!

Thanks Clive,

I will most definitely be checking those out. I'm making a concerted effort to spend more time on the float this coming season. I've got an unknown stretch of water to have a go at and what better way to search it than with homemade floats.

Back