• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dick Walker - The Legend

Martin James

Centenarian Dick Walker
On Oak Apple day, May 29 1918 Mrs Elsie Walker gave birth to a son, his name was Richard Stuart Walker, affectionately known as Dick. Today Oak Apple Day 29th May 2018 Dick would have been a centenarian, without doubt the most charismatic angler born. Why not take out ten minutes and reminisce about how Dick helped your angling and give thanks
. Martin James MBE

Crikey if he had got to that ripe old age Martin , goodness knows what he would have invented and what fish he would have caught ! In his relatively short life he changed the face of angling . His book Stillwater Angling had a massive influence on me as a a young angler , he made me realise that with the right approach and mind set anyone could catch big fish . He had a superb engineering brain , a ready wit and was supremely generous . I wrote to him twice , he replied both times with detailed letters, one hand written , he was , and still is my angling hero .

Perhaps his greatest legacy is the amount of anglers who not only learned from him but were articulate enough to pass the knowledge on to others. We have had many great angling writers who were strongly influenced by Dick Walker, Tony Miles and Peter Stone to name but two. Truly innovative anglers are rare and we can be grateful to those who are and are happy to share their knowledge.

RICHARD WALKER.jpg

Coincidentally (being completely unaware of the anniversary of his birth) I read 'No Need to Lie' over the past 24 hours. He's quite an inspiration, Dick Walker, with his wonderfully witty style of writing and his innovative approach to angling. His many friends mentioned in the book are testament to his affable character. I wish I'd met him.

Always been a mega fan of Dick Walker, one of my favourite books is 'drop me a line' fascinating insight into the early days of Carp fishing with letters sent between himself and Maurice Ingham.

Hi men,

Im fairly sure as he was always pushing things forward that he would be using cutting edge tackle , and baits .

Hatter

Back