• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Devon.

Andy Bridgeman

After a bit of advice.Took my eldest lad down to Plymouth University to start a 4 year course two weeks ago,only the 2nd time ive visited that part of the country.Obviously in time family visits will be spent down there,maybe even holidays.During the 350 mile one way journey from home i crossed a fair few rivers,the ones after the Avon i'd never even heard of.The sea fishing down there will certainly appeal to me but after reading on the net that there are no Barbel rivers in Devon my question is this.Where would i find the nearest Barbel fishing but more importantly can anyone advise me on the freshwater rivers in general in that part of the world as some looked belting waters.
Ta.

Barbel have shown up on the Exe and Culm but it's early days as far as their spread is concerned.

It's not a million miles from the Frome in Dorset (yes I know; I'd recommend it to anyone :)) ,which I'm pretty sure holds the odd barbel. Probably a bit far if you're just visiting, however.

Not that I would ever say 'Never' but I fish the Frome a lot and I have never heard of a Barbel being caught on it.
That said, as has been well publicised there are now some very big Carp and Tench in there from Pallington and Golden Springs Lakes, care of the spring floods;)
Also don't dismiss the excellent Grayling fishing as well.

The exe has barbel in, you just need to put the groundwork in to find them. But that's what fishing is about isn't it?

Not that I would ever say 'Never' but I fish the Frome a lot and I have never heard of a Barbel being caught on it.
That said, as has been well publicised there are now some very big Carp and Tench in there from Pallington and Golden Springs Lakes, care of the spring floods;)
Also don't dismiss the excellent Grayling fishing as well.

Keith - I'll bow to your better and local knowledge, in that case. I was sure I heard about barbel in the Frome....I must've been mistaken as I certainly can't qualify my statement with any facts. :)

Back