• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Desperate states in West London

Mark Swaby

River Colne at London Colney
River%20Colne%20london%20colney_zpsaqwm4s5t.jpg
2nd photo is the river Chess
river%20chess%20very%20dry_zpswalp7ncm.jpg
. The Rivers Colne and Chess, both Chalk Streams, west of London.The Sign say's it all.I went to a meeting of the Colne Valley fisheries consultative last week.They have been informed when HS2 starts up in 2 years time there will be 50% more water removed from the boreholes that supply the area.What with all the riverside trees being chopped down by the EA its terrible.If you think you have problems on your local rivers spare a thought for the poor souls who fish these 2 rivers.We have Otters,EE, Signal crayfish,pennywort almost taking over,1000's of cormorants,major abstraction,silt, serious sewage pollution and the recent decimation of bankside trees to contend with.

I thought that was just a path time i read other posts on the internet and seeing Ray's video's that he posted

That's so sad to see, Mark. I'm surprised your pics haven't provoked more comment on here. I guess commenting is just too depressing to contemplate.

How far away from those points is any water from either of the rivers?

lived not too far from there (borehamwood) and used to go to london colney to fish,,lovely little waterway was it also the colne that run by Bricket wood? used to go there as a kid to play. Couldnt even find that last time i was up that way. middle of nowhere 50 yrs ago.

So is this abstraction that's causing it or low rain fall? They both look very shallow even with water in, much like the upper teme if it's been very dry.

The lack of water on the Colne made the lunch time BBC news today. The water company blamed low rainfall, but said nothing about excessive abstraction.

growing up it never went dry as far as i remember. far less people and water usage. dont think it even dried up in the summer of 76 but might be wrong about that Abstraction in my opinion is the cause.

Sorry i did not reply sooner,had to dash to Australia, my father in law passed and i had no Internet.Richard within a few miles both rivers have water but it barely moves and both rivers have had to mostly rely on silty Canal feed and sewage farm outflow to keep running. There are a few springs still feeding the rivers but they supply minimal water.Robert,yes that is the Colne at Bricket wood and the river Ver also joins in that area.The whole situation is a mess Thames have finally admitted last month that the Chess sewage solids were coming from their water works, a bit obvious when there are hundreds of sanitry towels and other filth just below their outflow(they have now fitted net curtains to catch the crap and seem proud of their fix, JOKE).They also finally supplied data ( data protection act applied for months before)that shows they have been pumping way over their allowed filth/sewage into the river Colne when there was low flows all last summer.

Sorry i did not reply sooner,had to dash to Australia, my father in law passed and i had no Internet.Richard within a few miles both rivers have water but it barely moves and both rivers have had to mostly rely on silty Canal feed and sewage farm outflow to keep running. There are a few springs still feeding the rivers but they supply minimal water.Robert,yes that is the Colne at Bricket wood and the river Ver also joins in that area.The whole situation is a mess Thames have finally admitted last month that the Chess sewage solids were coming from their water works, a bit obvious when there are hundreds of sanitry towels and other filth just below their outflow(they have now fitted net curtains to catch the crap and seem proud of their fix, JOKE).They also finally supplied data ( data protection act applied for months before)that shows they have been pumping way over their allowed filth/sewage into the river Colne when there was low flows all last summer.

Pretty depressing,. Thanks Mark

Back