• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Derri Boots

A definite for.
I have a pair that only come out when the thermometer hits - 3 or below.

I only use them on the beach,as at this time of year I spend most of my angling time chasing Cod.... and that means 8 or 10 hour night sessions on freezing sand or rocks,with the wind whistling around you,and sleet and icy rain coming horizontally. I bought a pair two years ago,and tbh I have never once been cold in them at all.
Just hoping for a break in the weather to get back on the river for a day.
If you do get a pair make sure that they are big enough to get comfortably on your feet, they can feel a bit tight at first.I only use one pair of normal socks with them,never felt the need for thick boot socks or anything else.
Hope this helps.
Dave

Owned a couple of pairs in the past, as a smarter-looking alternative to wellies. Never rated them for fishing though.

Not particularly warm in winter, hard to get on or off, lousy grip on slippery surfaces, can suffer punctures and cuts.

Colin,
If you havn't got them yet, I would join the don't side. They are pathetic, if not dangerous on slippy banks - terrible grip.
Peter.

Muckboots for the win, I've got a pair of the Tay's recently and use everyday for walking the dog. Nice and comfortable and feet have been nice and warm, not tried them on the bank yet but with the insulation and sole on the muckboots I think they are more than up to the job.

I reviewed them a few years ago for the site. I'll get the review into the new reviews area in a minute.

I didn't use them for long in the end as although they were warm, they got stupidly heavy with mud and I did find myself slipping around a lot! I think the Muck Boots with a decent pair of warm socks are a better option...

Cheers,

Andy F

Derries

Got to admit I have no knowledge of how they perform on mud ,as I only use them on sand and flat rock,I have had no problems so far as grip is concerned though,for true rock scrambling I use a pair of Berghouses as they are made for the job.
Dave

Never tried the Derri's, but am very happy with my Muck Boot Tays. Comfortable for long walks, plenty of grip, and lovely and warm. I went for the Tays instead of the extra-warm Tay Sport so I could use them in warmer weather, but with two pairs of winter walking socks, they've been fine in frosty weather.

Deffinately the Tays for me, fantastic footwear, Very comfy aswel as very very warm can't fault them at all!!!

Hi Colin. no experience of the Derri boot but I can vouch for the Muck boot Tay Sport, I use them on Dungeness beach & never had cold feet & they are very comfortable. Have a great Christmas, cheers...Kev

Thank you all. I have changed my mind about the Derri, and just ordered a pair of Tay Muck Boots.
Have a good Christmas.
ATB
Colin

Back