• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Debut On The Dove By Stewart Bloor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles

Super Moderator
Staff member
Debut On The Dove

By Stewart Bloor

A beautiful summers day, it's the start of the 2000 river season and I'm heading up the A38 for a first visit to the River Dove. It was a good job I gave myself plenty of time, because once off the main road I got a bit lost... A thirty five mile journey became fifty, but as no-one had given me directions, therefore there was no-one to blame but myself, I didn't make too much of a big deal... However, upon arriving at the water, all the frustration was gone. Is it just me, or is there a soothing quality about water, particularly the running variety?

An empty car park is always a welcome sign, so heading across the meadows to my chosen area I was optimistic. I had been put on to the area by none other than the Dove maestro himself, a certain Graham Marsden, who is a good friend... I couldn't go wrong, could I? The swim itself was a cattle drink and is apparently a hot spot. It certainly was for cattle, I soon found myself surrounded by a herd of cows and the odd sheep thrown in for good measure. The river was looking good, but then when you see life through rosy coloured glasses like I do, every river always looks good. Even when it's twelve feet up and flowing like an express train...

sedgedove02.jpg

Mind, there was one dark cloud on the horizon. A cormorant flew overhead at one point. Although I'm an ordained Minister I'm afraid I'm not in the 'All things bright and beautiful' gang. Say no more.

One thing about barbel fishing I have learned is this - don't fish too light. Most of my barbel fishing had been done on the Worcestershire Teme, and do those fish fight !! They also intimately know every snag in the river and immediately upon hooking one that's where it heads for. The reputation of the Dove barbel was just as deserved, I had heard, so I fished the same way as I do the Teme. I've been fishing braid for some time now, so 14lb mainline to 10lb dacron hooklength tied with a knotless knot to a hair rig was the attack plan as far as tackle was concerned. Due to the low river and not too much flow, a 3/4 ounce flat lead was sufficient to hold bottom.

About 3 litres of hemp entered the swim, fed in at regular intervals at the start of the session and designed to cover a run of about 8 metres rather than be concentrated in just one area. A good helping of free offerings of luncheon meat completed the 'bait and wait' approach. There was still a couple of hours to go before evening came and the anticipated action, so it was time to enjoy the surroundings as well as concentrate upon the rod tip. The far bank had what appeared a well worn walkers trail alongside it, the long shadows over the water and noise certainly didn't produce confidence in getting a bite. But a bite did come, early on, against all the odds. I was into my first Dove barbel. Unfortunately, as it was coming to the net, it slipped the hook. Still, I consoled myself, it was only a small one. Out there, somewhere, was a real monster with my name on it.

sedgedove.jpg

Stewart on the Dove​

A number of pulls on the rod resulting in the meat being snatched meant a switch in bait was on the cards. Pork salami sausage, otherwise known as Peperami is a favourite of mine in conditions like this, its tough texture means it stays on the hook. The pulls from the smaller fish continued but the meat stayed on the hook. Confidence is everything when fishing and in Peperami I am always 100%.

At 9.00pm, the rod tip pulled round, this time I knew it was a decent fish. The strike confirmed this, I was now into my second Dove barbel, hopefully this one would make the net. When playing a barbel I often estimate the weight of the fish. On the Teme I can guess to within a pound most times. I estimated this fish to be about 5 or 6 lb. After a short fight, where the fish made three or four runs, it finally keeled over and surrendered. Well, I was surprised. The fish in the net was certainly bigger than I imagined. On the unhooking mat, the hook was quickly removed and the fish weighed. The scales just fell short of 9 lb, 8-15-8 to be exact. I'm sure a lot of anglers would have rounded it up, but I keep very detailed records of all my catches, so if it was 8-15-8 then that is what it is !! A few photographs later and this beautiful fish is swimming back to fight another day to give some other angler a blessing.

sedgedove03.jpg

Stewart with a near 9lb Dove barbel​

I read in an article that an '8' from the Dove, is the equivalent of a low double from the Great Ouse. So I was certainly a happy man. I had taken out a club card for the season to fish the Dove, and if this was the start of things to come, I couldn't wait ! Unfortunately, the Dove experienced such low water conditions that come mid-August it really was unfishable. And as the ticket I had did not allow night fishing, I was forced to abandon my Dove campaign. Although I did catch other fish, I never bettered that debut barbel. However, being forced to leave the Dove proved to be a blessing in disguise because I switched to the lower Severn....Now, that's another story...

Stewart Bloor can be contacted on sbloor@sicm.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back