• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Day ticket stretches on River Ure (near aysgarth)

HI i am after some info on the river Ure or tributaries as im staying in a lodge soon near aysgarth and wondered if it was worth taking my fishing gear. If not for barbel then any coarse fishing as i also love to trot a stick for anything that swims.
I know around there its mainly trout/fly fishing but any info would be welcome.
I cant really justify travelling more than 45 mins

I don't know the Ure well enough to suggest any day ticket stretches, though I know that there are increasing numbers of chub and barbel from Leyburn and downstream. However, you'd easily get to the Swale at Richmond (and downstream) inside 45mins. Below the falls is mixed game/coarse water and Richmond & District Angling Society definitely does day tickets on its water. The biggest issue is likely to be timing. In a month or two, lots of the coarse fish will drop downstream to be replaced with grayling. If my catches are anything to go by, relatively high and inconsistent water levels mean that this transition may be happening a little earlier than normal. As high up either the Swale or Ure that you might feasibly get to fish, the chub and barbel are likely to be in fairly isolated pockets that can be rather difficult to locate.

thanks for that, i didnt realise the swale was that close.
ive just spent an hour on their site looking at likely spots and i can imagine all the likely looking pegs will be taken on a weekend so will probably do the family stuff instead

ive just spent an hour on their site looking at likely spots and i can imagine all the likely looking pegs will be taken on a weekend so will probably do

That would be pretty unlikely. I rarely see anyone fishing Richmond waters, perhaps the odd fluff chucker now and again and the odd person close to easy access points, regardless of it being a weekend or not. The only thing that probably affects that is that I tend to avoid the stretches within the town boundary.

well that puts a different light on it Chris. can i pm you for a few pointers please?

Of course you can. If your timing is right, I may be able to show you about. Can't promise a thing on the fish though, but if you trot maggots you are unlikely to blank.

cheers chris
i get to aysgarth 4pm friday 25th sept so after unpacking if you are free for an hour or so around tea time you could show me whats what.
i plan to fish saturday till mid afternoon and if i do well, sunday too prob a 5 hour session, early or late

i will have to travel to bedale the nearest day ticket outlet on way to aysgarth from hull?
might pop there first on way there on friday and get tickets for sat and sunday.

i normally fish the tidal trent almost out the back of my van
static - box - chair loads and loads of gear (too much) and usually fish afternoon/evening stick for dace roach and then barbel after dark.

i wont be night fishing but maybe sunday i can fish till dusk?
saturday i am eating out at 6pm so its a daytime job
do the barbel feed much in daylight?

will i find a peg that will give me sport for 5/6 hours if i target dace and silvers as well? or is it a bit of a roving jobby?

i looked at the site and saw some nice pegs between easby abbey and brompton but its hard to tell just from pics and levels can change.

i have a bad (builders) back and cannot carry my gear far. but i can fish stood up all day
so im either gonna need to trim my gear right down if i have to walk far or are there any pegs with a less than 30 yard walk?
if not i can use a rucksack and i have a small small rod bag for 3 rods.

tell us what you think chris, you know the place and i will follow your advice.

cheers

I fished that very same area when I was 18. 37 years ago! Went camping and fishing for a week with a mate. I can definitely remember catching dace, grayling, trout and barbel on the stick float and maggot. I remember walking a long way and fishing lots of swims. The barbel were only small but I lost a bigger one near Easby Abbey.
Happy memories!

Back