• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dawn or dusk on the Wye?

Kevin Webb

Senior Member & Supporter
Going on holiday last week in September with a trip to the Wye at Symonds Yat.
Hopefully fishing every day but wondered if dawn or dusk was better for barbel… or doesn’t it really matter.
Please don’t say “ ask Graham Elliot” as I have constantly sent him messages recently.
🤣

Going on holiday last week in September with a trip to the Wye at Symonds Yat.
Hopefully fishing every day but wondered if dawn or dusk was better for barbel… or doesn’t it really matter.
Please don’t say “ ask Graham Elliot” as I have constantly sent him messages recently.
🤣
hello kevin , i’d say dusk , with my limited experience. Not fishing as well as last season in my opinion.
i’m here now for a few days , i’ve had 3 whiskers , lots of chub so ain’t complaining. good luck .

Kevin,
I was there a few years ago with non fishing friends so had to grab my angling moments. Fished mid afternoon sometimes, when lots of canoes and other boats. Still managed to catch.

hello kevin , i’d say dusk , with my limited experience. Not fishing as well as last season in my opinion.
i’m here now for a few days , i’ve had 3 whiskers , lots of chub so ain’t complaining. good luck .
Thanks Craig. Hope it improves for you and by end of September !

Hopefully the river will have had a good flush through by the time you go too. If you're not catching be prepared to move swims until you find the fish

Hopefully the river will have had a good flush through by the time you go too. If you're not catching be prepared to move swims until you find the fish
Thanks Mark. Bit difficult re moving as I’ve rented a house that allows you to fish from the garden hence fishing early and late then going out during the day. I take your point though and might try elsewhere if nothing happening.

Thanks Mark. Bit difficult re moving as I’ve rented a house that allows you to fish from the garden hence fishing early and late then going out during the day. I take your point though and might try elsewhere if nothing happening.
Kevin, is the house directly opposite the pub with the chain ferry nearby ?
If so it's the same one we rented. Great spot.

Kevin, is the house directly opposite the pub with the chain ferry nearby ?
If so it's the same one we rented. Great spot.
Hi Mike
It’s called The Old Post Office . The garden from where you can fish is opposite the caravan site from what I can gather. Not far upstream from hand ferry.
Hopefully a barbel or two will be lurking nearby 😉
Having my own private fishing spot and making the most of it for 7 days was a big attraction.

Hi Mike
It’s called The Old Post Office . The garden from where you can fish is opposite the caravan site from what I can gather. Not far upstream from hand ferry.
Hopefully a barbel or two will be lurking nearby 😉
Having my own private fishing spot and making the most of it for 7 days was a big attraction.
We had the cottage next door !
Great spot, you will love it. Please report how you get on, we might go back.
Be VERY careful driving the last few yards. The road is only about a foot wider than your car.

I haven’t really fished this year but the last few years I found that in popular swims dusk could go by biteless. It was worth dropping back in an hour or two after dark as I think they got used to people just packing up at dusk or 15minutes in to dark. Doesn’t sound like you’ll have to worry about that but maybe worth a go if it’s slow and you think it’s been fished a lot.

We had the cottage next door !
Great spot, you will love it. Please report how you get on, we might go back.
Be VERY careful driving the last few yards. The road is only about a foot wider than your car.
Thanks Mike. Good to know on both counts.
Will let you know how I get on.

I haven’t really fished this year but the last few years I found that in popular swims dusk could go by biteless. It was worth dropping back in an hour or two after dark as I think they got used to people just packing up at dusk or 15minutes in to dark. Doesn’t sound like you’ll have to worry about that but maybe worth a go if it’s slow and you think it’s been fished a lot.
Thanks Christian. I’ll give it a try 👍

Back