• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa ninja or legalis reels

Has anyone used the daiwa ninja or legalis reels in either 3000 or 4000 sizes? Looking at these I am unsure if I should be looking at the 3000 or 4000 to pair up with my 12' 1.75lb rods.

If you have used them, are they any good?

I have the 3000 size legialis reels for chub they are good reels for the money. I’d probably go for the probably go for the 4000 size for barbel though. I my opinion they are far better than cheap baitrunner reels.

Agree with John - go for the 4000 size
I have a couple of Front Drag Daiwa reels, they're not the Ninja but very similar( i think they are procasters -£45 I paid) - lovely smooth front drag and feel very well put together.

The reels are pretty much the same spec so it probably comes down to whether you want the Quick Drag facility or not. If you don't then the ninjas may be better for barbel as I guess the lower gearing would make them tougher?

Had the 4000A ninja for about a year now, and so far so good with regards to performance. Mainly used for light feeder fishing and live baiting for perch, nice smooth clutch even when tightened down after hooking the odd rouge pike.

I would have reservations about chucking big weights out for barbel though, they are fine bringing feeders back in to a couple of oz, but tbh I think they might struggle hauling big leads in ???

I have the limited edition ninja 3000 bg. They are very good reels for the money i have had mid double carp and barbel to 10lbs on them. The drags are very good on them as well. These reels are better than the shimano's i replaced.

Back