• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa Infinity Evo or FS Barbel gold rods

Tim Harris

Hi all. Unfortunately missed out on a couple of 11ft torrix second hand and so now likely looking at off the peg.

An infinity Evo has come up second hand, otherwise was swaying towards a FS Barbel Gold.

both 12ft 1.75tc. Obviously it would be ideal to go and have a look at both/either but not currently an option obviously.
I’ve really struggled to find any real info on either - does anyone on here have any that they might be able to share?

any other options that might be worth consideration welcome...
Thanks. Tim

Hi Tim - which river{s} will you be fishing and what is the likely size of barbel you're likely to catch? On smaller rivers, with few snags 10lb main line is sufficient, and if not casting far, a through action rod.

I use my Infinity's for most of my summer Trent fishing. Light feeder work up to 4oz etc, lots of power in the blank, which soaks the lunges up. Would move up a little if theres water on to 2.25 plus though.
20190510_131125.jpg
The blank will be the same, just the aesthetics, reel seat and handle that's evolved. Personally the best off the shelf 1.75 out there. Imo.
That pic is me using them for Tench, just to give a view of the action. I dont know anything ref the free spirit etc

Hi Tim - which river{s} will you be fishing and what is the likely size of barbel you're likely to catch? On smaller rivers, with few snags 10lb main line is sufficient, and if not casting far, a through action rod.

thanks Richard. Will be small rivers, though snaggy. Will be using 15lb (or certainly 12lb).

not casting far, though will need to be able to ‘hold’ a fish from the walks I’ve done in the last week or so.

I use my Infinity's for most of my summer Trent fishing. Light feeder work up to 4oz etc, lots of power in the blank, which soaks the lunges up. Would move up a little if theres water on to 2.25 plus though. View attachment 10950The blank will be the same, just the aesthetics, reel seat and handle that's evolved. Personally the best off the shelf 1.75 out there. Imo.
That pic is me using them for Tench, just to give a view of the action. I dont know anything ref the free spirit etc

very helpful Jon, thanks. I remember you saying they were the best off the peg in your opinion.
As a carp fisherman, I don’t actually like fully through action rods if I’m totally honest. I like to feel I have a little in reserve if required and prefect most of the action to be in the top 1/3 rd of a rod.
They do look nice.

I don’t know much about the free spirit model as I’ve never handled one but the Daiwa s are lovely rods. The infinity is a very nice piece of kit, very light and powerful but imo the basia tops it again if you’ve got a little extra to spend.
I’ve only had line through them both side by side not actually fished with either but based on that I prefer the basia In every way.
It’s even lighter than the infinity and feels more powerful yet they both have a lovely progressive action. The basia has the better guides being Titanium they shave weight and very strong.
if budget allows I’d say go basia as it does edge the infinity slightly imo.

Infinity has a Much better tip ring looking at the pics. Basia seems to have that Top bridge so not a anti frap like infinity.
could be a deal breaker for some
I would sooner have a top end Daiwa over a Hi S But then I’d probably have an S over a top end Daiwa or maybe not....... Dunno actually I’d probably struggle to choose between those. Horses for courses

Last edited:
The rings need to be anti frap all way through. K series alconite or sic. I did see the Basia, and thought the same. The missed the boat on that one.
The rings on the basia are pretty amazing things. Very high end stuff but let down with the tip ring looking at it. At the time I played with them I didn’t notice it but it certainly would be a better thing being anti frap.

The intermediate rings on the infinity are not anti frap. Only the tip.
I’ve always had to go custom or rebuild to get a full set of proper anti frap rings.

The intermediate rings on the infinity are not anti frap. Only the tip.
I’ve always had to go custom or rebuild to get a full set of proper anti frap rings.
Always wondered why top end rods don't fit 'anti-frap' guides more widely. It seems that some other manufacturers are now offering their own versions/patterns.
There's a bit of a shortage of some Fuji guides and products for the last 6 months due to various reasons. Fuji also decided to change some colour options in attempt to become greener making some guides/rings a thing of the past.
Apart from a few patterns, never really liked single legs. Still less legs - less whipping.
Stay Safe.
Cheers
Bob

Yeah I’ve heard about the recent changes and shortages to some of the Fuji rings. They’ve changed the way the insert is held on some of them too iirc.
I honestly don’t know why we don’t see many top end rods with K’s whipped on.
they are about the only ring I like in single leg form due the the sheer strength of them. It’s the only ring I’ve ever seen that I would call a true anti frap as well. I’m not against other rings I think Seymour and sea guide make some awesome rings too but modern rods coming off the line with bridged tip rings is pretty criminal nowadays.
I’d still have a basia over an infinity any day of the week just for that sensational blank alone. I’d swap the tip ring over and be done with it 😊

very helpful Jon, thanks. I remember you saying they were the best off the peg in your opinion.
As a carp fisherman, I don’t actually like fully through action rods if I’m totally honest. I like to feel I have a little in reserve if required and prefect most of the action to be in the top 1/3 rd of a rod.
They do look nice.

I've landed 20lb + carp on the older model 1.75 Infinity Barbel rod no problems. Excellent rods, with plenty of power in reserve and it takes a lot for them to lock-up. In normal conditions you could land any barbel that swims on the 1.75 imo.

I can't comment on the Free Spirit Gold, but judging from the pricing they are a mid-price range rod, whilst the infinity's are most definitely top end, manufactured and built by Daiwa in Scotland I believe.

Only a minor thing, but I really like the armlock handle, I thought it might be a gimmick but it certainly isn't, it's clever design.

Going back to the ops original post if Torrix’s are off the cards then so are basias, new infinity’s etc and I’d say if it’s cheap enough go for the second hand Daiwa infinity.
the free spirit gold while I’m sure it’s a decent rod it probably doesn’t come with the same features and fittings as a top end Daiwa. I played with the infinity in a tackle shop and honestly it’s nothing less than excellent. Yes I preferred the basia but it’s kinda irrelevant here as you haven’t been offered one of those. Go for the infinity but just make sure it’s not been treated badly

I had a look at the FS Barbel Gold at Stoneleigh earlier this year,they looked and felt really nice with an excellent finish.You say that you will be fishing small rivers so you won’t be casting to the horizon so you won’t need the expensive anti frap guides.To my mind they are an excellent functional rod that would suit your needs without breaking the bank 👍

Going back to the ops original post if Torrix’s are off the cards then so are basias, new infinity’s etc and I’d say if it’s cheap enough go for the second hand Daiwa infinity.
the free spirit gold while I’m sure it’s a decent rod it probably doesn’t come with the same features and fittings as a top end Daiwa. I played with the infinity in a tackle shop and honestly it’s nothing less than excellent. Yes I preferred the basia but it’s kinda irrelevant here as you haven’t been offered one of those. Go for the infinity but just make sure it’s not been treated badly

Thanks all for the input.

Richard, i was hoping for a Torrix second hand, unfortunately i wasn't quick enough!

An Evo has come up second hand, but not sure i will be able to get there (am seeing if he can post). otherwise i will likely go for the FS rod given the time scale before the season starts.

Thanks again all.

Thanks all for the input.

Richard, i was hoping for a Torrix second hand, unfortunately i wasn't quick enough!

An Evo has come up second hand, but not sure i will be able to get there (am seeing if he can post). otherwise i will likely go for the FS rod given the time scale before the season starts.

Thanks again all.
Makes sense.
good luck getting your rod whatever it may be

Back