• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa emblem 4500h " baboon bums:

Chris Thomson

Anyone had any experience with these " oldies"?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240901_175043_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240901_175043_eBay.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 141
    186.3 KB · Views: 140
    186.3 KB · Views: 145
They bring back some memories, had those on my carp rods in the 90s…12Ib big game and a liberal coating of Kryston greased lightning and you could cast to the horizon. Proper workhorses and built to last but they did suffer from a sticky drag after getting wet so had to dry them out in the airing cupboard between use if used in the rain, and not keep the drag tightened between use.

Seen this up for sale , smaller than the 500h which was the standard carp size model , quite fancy that on my barbel rod

Great old school reels would couple up nice with a flood water barbel rod or similar.

I’ve got 2 very similar reels that I still use for spod/marker work.

They are still ‘big’ reels and take too much line unless you are boating out baits !

And as mentioned the drags are pretty agricultural…..

Big reels for Barbel surely? I had a 5000t ( I think that was the size). Didn't have a very good line lay and all in all was a basic reel that I gave to my son in law for sea fishing. I guess the 4500 is a bit smaller but even so big reels. I have the SS2600's and I would think they're a much better size for Barbel in floodwater fishing, particularly if you get the carbon drag washers and spool clip conversions done. Even so, I only use mine for Carp.

Allegedly these reels (and similar) are worth stupid money…..and I think they are basically junk.

Mine are PM4000H’s (and I have an Emblem) and I’m told the PM’s are worth 150 quid for the pair ! Considerably more than they cost new.

Some people even make money ‘tricking them up’ with coloured parts etc etc……..Colin Davidson (Anglers Mail columnist) used to have some brown ones for god’s sake !

Allegedly these reels (and similar) are worth stupid money…..and I think they are basically junk.

Mine are PM4000H’s (and I have an Emblem) and I’m told the PM’s are worth 150 quid for the pair ! Considerably more than they cost new.

Some people even make money ‘tricking them up’ with coloured parts etc etc……..Colin Davidson (Anglers Mail columnist) used to have some brown ones for god’s sake !

Got to admit, I’ve had all these retro ‘cool’ reels, and they’re just rubbish compared to a decent modern reel. They might last a lifetime with some care, but that’s because they’re so basic and agricultural. Even the SS2600’s I had all got sold because there is much better available for less money (and it’s not a money thing, as I pair them with Hi S rods that aren’t exactly cheap).

Got to admit, I’ve had all these retro ‘cool’ reels, and they’re just rubbish compared to a decent modern reel. They might last a lifetime with some care, but that’s because they’re so basic and agricultural. Even the SS2600’s I had all got sold because there is much better available for less money (and it’s not a money thing, as I pair them with Hi S rods that aren’t exactly cheap).
IMO there are some definite exceptions to this…Shimano Stradic GTMs, super aero GTMs - the ones made in Japan are far superior to modern ones in engineering, clutch and ‘robystness’, baitrunner XTEAs are far superior to modern equivalent baitrunners. I will concede that the new aero match reels are better than the originals
I like modern reels , especially Daiwas, but also like some of the retro shimano reels as mentioned above, yes there is an element of nostalgia but I wouldn’t use them if they didn’t perform to a high standard

The pm,s are superb reels I regret selling mine

Back