• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa 125 Closed Faced Reel.

Brian Willson

Senior Member & Supporter
Can anyone let me know if you use a Daiwa 125 reel, and if you do, i would welcome any comments.
Many thanks.
Brian Willson.

I've got one which I bought new in the 80s but tbh I haven't used it for yours.
When I need a closed I use an ABU

Been using one of these reels for ages, never had a problem with them,nice light reel, good pick up and peel off ( 50m max ) ;)

had one and a 120 and a 123, didn't like any and went back to my old abu 1044 and a new (then) 704, both have the syncro drag i like. might be getting a 706 for next winter as the 1044's staring to show signs of gear wear, over 20 years of abuse though;)

they're probably been no worse than the abu's i've owned ,but i only remember the bad diawa's (they're not as bad as the shakespeare c/f's ,now they was dire) naf drags ,stripped gears ,etc etc .

i know where you can get one for free ,its at trent lock ,Long Eaton ,just past the moorings outside the navigation pub ,about 30yds in ,might be a tad rusty and tatty looking & the 4lbs maxima might need changing ,mind you its been there since 1996 .so might not work .

it belonged to a friend ,he was having trouble with it (jamming up) so i tossed it in the trent ,and gave him one of my abu 506's.he still has it .

the one's made these days are probably really good ,but still not a patch on the equivellent abu 706 and with the abu 706 you get spare spools .and they cost a lot less

I'm thinking about getting an Abu 706. A couple of questions:

Does it have an antireverse system/backwind the same as a fixed spool?

Are they suitable for use with 6lb line or heavier? ie does the line come off the spool freely when trotting?

I'd really appreciate your advice.

Thanks

I'm thinking about getting an Abu 706. A couple of questions:

Does it have an antireverse system/backwind the same as a fixed spool?

Are they suitable for use with 6lb line or heavier? ie does the line come off the spool freely when trotting?

I'd really appreciate your advice.

Thanks

yes switchable anti reverse ,and a drag

6lbs no problem ,you should get 3 spare spools of verying depths (these reels was origanally designed for spinning with lines between 4-8lbs ) so you can have a choice of diametre's .i often fish with a reel line of 6lbs couples with a lesser hooklink

once you depress the release button the line should flow free .

Back