• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Dace

Nathan Walter

I managed a new PB dace recently. I'm pleased to say I set my stool out to target dace and roach on this particular venue and was rewarded with a 14oz dace. I know it's not enourmous but anything over 12oz is pretty big. I'm hoping to get a pound plus dace, although with little of this season left, that could be tricky.

I'll add a photo later if I can.

Please post up a pic Nathan ! That's a very good Dace !

I love Dace ! Anything over 8ozs is a cracker ! They are (to me) one of the most handsome fishes ! Once they get big they look VERY special !

I know of a venue with some VERY nice Dace ! If you ever fancy a bash give me a shout............

I'd wager I can guess where you may have been fishing !?;).

Someone once said to me that 'A Good Dace is as long as your forearm' a good benchmark IMHO !

Regards Paul M.

Thanks fellas. Paul not where you're thinking!! And yes I would love to have a bash at anywhere that holds good dace. I'll await your PM! :)

I'll post a picture tomorrow afternoon after work.

A couple of photos. They don't do it justice unfortunately.

Attachments

• 14oz Dace.jpg
    14oz Dace.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 267
  • 14oz dace bw.jpg
    14oz dace bw.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 229
  • 14oz Dace 2.jpg
    14oz Dace 2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 257
I think the pictures are fine thats a cracker.

Don't breathe a word to the Dangling Press, the Sport Police and Official Censors of Fun, but I have spent a large part of my life purposely fishing for whatever Dace comes along (mostly 4- to 7-inchers), on light float-tackle, without any match prize or PB "specimen" in mind. Still do, and have no intention of stopping: it's simply too much like Real Angling and harmless fun.

Not too sure the Sport's Police would be too interested in those of us who delight in fishing for dace. They may well, however, be a tad concerned about my intentional session chasing a shoal of 'monster' minnows on the Itchen last Friday. Took me an hour to catch 20 of the blighters much to my companions delight. (19 in about ten minutes and just under the hour to land number 20.

Not too sure the Sport's Police would be too interested in those of us who delight in fishing for dace.

Interested? Perhaps just to think to themselves and to say to their fellow Angling Illuminati (over a Fosters or nine) - "Bleedin' noddy. What sorta money's in that?".

Interested? Perhaps just to think to themselves and to say to their fellow Angling Illuminati (over a Fosters or nine) - "Bleedin' noddy. What sorta money's in that?".

Oh the irony. Every season two of us club together and spend £90* to fish a sea trout pool for the amazing dace it holds. Last year I had three over a pound in a single session and another dozen that required a landing net, and my mate did better than me! Accidental sea trout captures to just shy of 9lbs kept us both amused on light dace tackle!

Silly money I admit , but when even the smaller dace are 'Avon herrings' and the sport is as near to guaranteed, I pay it happily.

* as my shop is the Agent for the ticket sales it is only fair that I declare my personal interest.

I once did as, I believe, Sir Humphry Davy once did in the 19th Century (he on the Houghton Club on the Test) - took an eye-wateringly priced Season Rod on a famous chalkstream trout fishery solely for its numerous and very fine grayling. Needs must - at least when you are a mad young thing, willing to chase anything of quality wearing skirts or fins...

Back