• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Custom rod builder north west

Mr Harrison himself, is based in Liverpool. ( Brunswick Dock ). Probably/most likely, every other rod builder, has/still does, use his blanks. ;)

As Bob says - Dave Lumb. I've got a few of his rods, and have also had him do some rebuilds and repairs. Top notch workmanship every time. Nice bloke as well.

Kev Baynes at Anglers Workshop in Newcastle-Under-Lyme (Jun 16 on M6). I've had several custom Barbel rods from him and cant recommend him enough. Very reasonably priced too. Tel: 01782 561515 (ring after 14:00 week days)

Funny innit, everyone who's had a custom made rod built, can't fault the builder one little bit, there all highly skilled, exeptional quality, workmanship etc etc. Has anyone ever had a BAD experience, and who to avoid. :D

Anyone used the Harrison chimera 3 rods
Hi
Got a pair of them from Dave Lumb
2 1/4 tc
Awesome rods
I think Lumby describes them as ‘the only barbel rod you”ll ever need” and although a bold statement it’s not far off the mark if you want some quality rods that will cast heavy feeders , have the power to handle snag fishing and bigger specimens yet still give you a lot of fun on more modest fish then I don’t think you’ll be disappointed

Hi
Got a pair of them from Dave Lumb
2 1/4 tc
Awesome rods
I think Lumby describes them as ‘the only barbel rod you”ll ever need” and although a bold statement it’s not far off the mark if you want some quality rods that will cast heavy feeders , have the power to handle snag fishing and bigger specimens yet still give you a lot of fun on more modest fish then I don’t think you’ll be disappointed
Dave has advised me to use them he’s making me a set of rods told me to go for them blanks good to here there good rods then

Anyone used the Harrison chimera 3 rods

Great big river barbel rods imo. They handle heavy leads 5-6oz leads and 4-5oz feeders with ease, yet are still really nice to play fish on - they don’t seem to lock up. They also make pretty good rods for tench fishing with bigger feeders, weedy swims etc. I imagine they would be pretty good for zandering as well.

Mine weren’t built by Dave, but I did get him to fit isotubes on mine and they are really handy. I’d seriously consider getting him to fit them if your going to be fishing into dark or at night.

Funny innit, everyone who's had a custom made rod built, can't fault the builder one little bit, there all highly skilled, exeptional quality, workmanship etc etc. Has anyone ever had a BAD experience, and who to avoid. :D

To be fair Derek, the OP was asking for recommendations - not who to avoid.

I’ve had a couple of rods built that I wasn’t completely 100% happy with (different builders), but I know others who have been completely happy with their work and I wouldn’t want to post negative comments on a public forum that could impact on an individuals livelihood. They are after all one-man band outfits, not big tackle companies. Best to just vote with ones feet imo.

Cheers,

Joe

Kev Baynes at Anglers Workshop in Newcastle-Under-Lyme (Jun 16 on M6). I've had several custom Barbel rods from him and cant recommend him enough. Very reasonably priced too. Tel: 01782 561515 (ring after 14:00 week days)

Not had a Kev Baines rod myself, but I did pop in their once and got my head mashed with information regarding the physics of rod design - he clearly really knows his stuff. I know a few carpers that really rate his Sniper rods.

Hi Paul
Perfect for them
Just used mine on Wye for a week and they took a lot of abuse hurling loaded 3 oz feeders
I fish the Swale a lot which isn't a big river but is spate river so lots of snags and floods
But most importantly as Joe has said they are a joy for playing fish on 😀
Dave Lumb will look after you - good bloke

Been speaking to my friend and dave made him some carp rods and he said the build quality was amazing I’ll be going with Dave for my Rods plus he’s only 20mins from were I live which is good will be getting 2 chimera 3 of him

Back