• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Custom 11ft torrix 2lb guide preference

Ashley Jones

Senior Member & Supporter
I’m having a 11ft torrix 2lb rod made. I normally like double legged k guides all the way to tip but am considering going to double legged for first 3 guides then single legged. What do people think?

I’m having a 11ft torrix 2lb rod made. I normally like double legged k guides all the way to tip but am considering going to double legged for first 3 guides then single legged. What do people think?
Hi Ashley, yes 2 double on the butt, and the first on the tip is more akin to today's style of fishing, making the tip a fraction lighter, I have minimas on mine, almost 30 percent lighter again, and as strong as k guides.
Jim

My 11ft torrixs use an advanced pattern that mark Tunley put together for me.

1 x 20mm double legged guide on the butt section. Then 6x single legged guides plus tip on the tip section. Just 9 whippings on the blank and my preferred ring is the Fuji k series guide because they are stronger in singles than most others are in doubles

My 11ft torrixs use an advanced pattern that mark Tunley put together for me.

1 x 20mm double legged guide on the butt section. Then 6x single legged guides plus tip on the tip section. Just 9 whippings on the blank and my preferred ring is the Fuji k series guide because they are stronger in singles than most others are in doubles
Are Fuji K series singles really stronger than most other doubles?
Did Mark tell you that.. Very interesting.....

Are Fuji K series singles really stronger than most other doubles?
Did Mark tell you that.. Very interesting.....
Mark didn’t tell me. You don’t need to be told you just need to own a set and look at the design and apply pressure yourself.
Look at the design of them. Big flared reinforcement sides that are set at 45° to both the foot and the guide so you’re not applying force to the thinnest part of the steel like you do with other guides where the reinforcement is sitting in the weakest plane.

I haven’t come across a guide nearly as strong before but if you have by all means put up the example and let’s see the design of it.

Mark didn’t tell me. You don’t need to be told you just need to own a set and look at the design and apply pressure yourself.
Look at the design of them. Big flared reinforcement sides that are set at 45° to both the foot and the guide so you’re not applying force to the thinnest part of the steel like you do with other guides where the reinforcement is sitting in the weakest plane.

I haven’t come across a guide nearly as strong before but if you have by all means put up the example and let’s see the design of it.
Minima black shadows on my 11ft 2lbs and on my 12ft 2.5s., and on my chimera 1.25s.
Also upto 30percent lighter, and as strong as any guide available today.
Jim

Imo, I don't think any single leg guide is as strong as a double guide, especially when whipped on a blank.
If you look at the design of the guide
IMG_6778.jpeg

The arms kick off from the side and meet the round part at the half way point. If you push or pull this guide forward or backwards you are applying force to the larger dimension of the arms.
Now look at a conventional minima guide in double leg
IMG_6779.jpeg

The reinforcement stays in the same plane as the foot and meets the circle very low.
The thinner part of the legs is where the force will be applied by a push or pull. Even with the third leg infront this design is no where near as strong as the one above it. You just have to look at where things will bend when force is applied.

Now Fuji isn’t the only one offering the flared armed antifrap guide so there’s others using the design and it’s as I said stronger in singles than a lot of conventional doubles.

If you push or pull the fuji single leg guide repeatedly it will snap where the whipping ends.
The double leg minima isn't going to move at all with the same pressure applied.

If you push or pull the fuji single leg guide repeatedly it will snap where the whipping ends.
The double leg minima isn't going to move at all with the same pressure applied.
Back to you saying the fuji k is stronger than most double leg guides.
I would say in the hand yes.
Whipped on a blank, "any" double legged guide would be stronger.

Here's my recent spec that I'm having done by Mark Tunley....

There was an issue, according to Mark, about certain availability of guides, when I recently visited him to put this spec together. Which kinda put a dampner on things.

So finally settled for the Kigan 3D's 25mm set.
I'm glad in many ways, that this will be the last of my customs.
The disappointment of not having available, the choice of components I wanted, just isn't worth the money these decent rod builders charge. I don't like having to make compromises on a spec that I'm being charged quite high prices for.😊

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240925_062323_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240925_062323_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

There was an issue, according to Mark, about certain availability of guides, when I recently visited him to put this spec together. Which kinda put a dampner on things.

The disappointment of not having available, the choice of components I wanted, just isn't worth the money these decent rod builders charge. I don't like having to make compromises on a spec that I'm being charged quite high prices for.😊
What guides did you want? I’m just having a k series guides put on my rod and he got them ok.

What guides did you want? I’m just having a k series guides put on my rod and he got them ok.
I've WhatsApp Mark, just to re confirm what he told me.... I'll see what his reply is first Ashley. Cheers mate.

What k Series colour/size did you opt for?

I thought it odd initially, them not having any in personally!

That sounds nice.

Back