• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Curing Boilies in Rock Salt

Mark Harridence

Senior Member & Supporter
I went to a talk Dave Mason gave last week at the B.S. Meeting in Tewkesbury. One of the things he touched on was 'curing' boilies in rock salt. This is something I'm not familiar with and wondered whether anyone else was aware of it, had tried it and knew what the benefits are?

Cheers
Mark

Dave has been doing this for some time now, before every home had a freezer most food was preserved in salt or brine solutions. Rock salt acts as a preservative, draws excess moisture out of the boilies and fish do seem to like salt.

Hi Mark
I was there too:cool:It was one of the many good tips Dave gave that I will give a go. For those not familiar take some Frozen boilies, and before they have defrosted put in a container and cover with (ground) rock salt. Leave overnight and place back in freezer... OR go fishing with 'em. :)
The salt actually penetrates right through the boilie and they have a speckled effect after curing, Salt I am told be an essential mineral that fish, especially post spawning require.
This is the top wonder bait and multiple catches of barbel catches can be expected.:p

Oh! yes I have done some research and you will find better results with cheap and readily available rock salt , but you will have to ground the salt down to a fine powder.

been to one of his talks too, very imformative.
a friend of mine cures his in garlic salt, does the same job but adds the flavour too......and they are very succsessful.

Hi,

I have not tried this method with salt, but I know it works reasonably well using dry raw rice grains, or even sugar, to help dry/preserve boilies for trips to France when freezers are not available. As said, the idea is usually to draw the moisture out of the boilies, as in air drying, thereby giving them a limited shelf life.

I don't doubt that covering frozen boilies in salt would mean some of it would be drawn in during the thawing process, which could be useful if they are commercially produced boilies with little or no salt added during manufacture.

Sounds good to me, might give it a try....thanks for passing that on :)

Cheers, Dave.

Was a cracking talk ,and me and old mate Steve Pope ,John Costello all sat next to each other and relived great days on the lwr Severn ,and hopefully there will be a few more of them,different species though,am thinking.

I couldn't make the talk in Tewkesbury....work always seems to get in the way !!!

Anyway, I always store my baits in dry rice....takes away ALL the excess moisture leaving a nice hard bait - Perfect :) I do like the idea though, of garlic and salt??

Paul

Hi men,

Dave is doing a talk at the BS conference next weekend , so some can catch up with his ideas then. I hear he has someone holding up translation boards for us southerners !!:D.

After chatting to him a few years ago we have tried putting a liquid on our pellets then dusting them with garlic salt , very good ;)

Hatter

Dave did touch on using 'store cupboard ingredients' and highlighted Garlic Salt and also Fenugreek, after a bit of research, I've decided to trial its potency by initially incorporating it into my wife's diet; http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-fenugreek.html. :D

Cheers
Mark

:p
Yep Garlic salt seems to be worth a go, but I have it on good authority from a Carpy type that ground rock salt works a treat. But he is a fisher of Carp so it's anybodies guess as to it's worth :rolleyes:

Back