• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Crabs?

Steve Sorrell

Enjoying the lovely weather down the coast yesterday, we came across a dad and his lad crabbing. They had a few and my wife started drooling at the thought of a free feed.
So, looks like we could be going crab fishing....:rolleyes:

What type of drop net would be best (size), best bait (bacon?), any other tips?
Can we eat all the crabs that we are likely to catch?

Steve

No mate, you can only eat edible crab (surprise surprise) which is a seperate species, browny redy pink in colour with black tips to its claws, unlikely to get them in a drop net that close to shore but it can be done if you know a spot.

And Spider Crabs! :) You can eat those, as with Edible Crabs, they are elusive to the shorebound crabber but not impossible! Head for deeper water like piers and breakwaters. You could also invest in a Prawn trap, i picked one up for a few quid and they are very effective.

George is spot-on about Edibles, Steve. Get yourself an old-fashioned shrimpnet and work the shoreline. Magic.

WSB_shrimping.gif

I love a dressed brown crab and always think it a bit of a bonus when one comes up on my odd boat fishing trip for black bream, but how much of the spider crab is edible? They often come close in to Borth beach and you can pick them up with a pair of waders and a net but nobody bothers because even though they weigh on average a kilo with a span nearing 3 feet the only bit anyone bothers eating is the legs and claws. The body is like a house brick, it must be edible but I cant find any information about how to dress them.

Hugh's a fan!

"The succulent leg and claw meat of the Spider Crab is prized on the continent and is now served in local restaurants as the crabs have increased in numbers.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall writes in the 'River Cottage Cook Book': 'The meat is sweet and beautifully textured, which is why the Spanish, who appreciate such things, will pay more for a large Spider Crab than for a Lobster of the same weight. I am a total convert, and rate them as even better than Brown Crabs.' There is a recipe for Spider or Brown Crab Linguine on Page 336 of his cook book. However, removal of the meat can be a tedious process!"

Quoted from: http://www.newquay-westwales.co.uk/spider.htm

Since they are probably close to 90% legs and claws i wouldn't bother with the other bit Ade! :)

You can eat green crabs if you can be bothered with the preparation.

Hugh's a fan!

"The succulent leg and claw meat of the Spider Crab is prized on the continent and is now served in local restaurants as the crabs have increased in numbers.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall writes in the 'River Cottage Cook Book': 'The meat is sweet and beautifully textured, which is why the Spanish, who appreciate such things, will pay more for a large Spider Crab than for a Lobster of the same weight. I am a total convert, and rate them as even better than Brown Crabs.' There is a recipe for Spider or Brown Crab Linguine on Page 336 of his cook book. However, removal of the meat can be a tedious process!"

Quoted from: http://www.newquay-westwales.co.uk/spider.htm

Since they are probably close to 90% legs and claws i wouldn't bother with the other bit Ade!
:)

I did a bit of further research and discovered you can eat the body. You treat it just like a brown crab discarding the dead man's fingers and digestive bits (the mouth area) and teasing all the little strands of white meat out the boney core. You need to be aware the brown meat is a bit 'snotty', apparently you can thicken it with fresh breadcrumbs or use it in a sauce if serving with pasta.
Can't wait to have a go this summer.

THANK GOD FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For one horrible moment, i thought someone had paid a visit to a wigan nightclub. ;)

Adrian, i just got a caravan down at borth, very interested in finding out anything about the place fishingwise mate, beach only though, any info will be gratefully received:)

Back