• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Crabs.

Simon Archer

Senior Member & Supporter
I've taken a punt and joined Scunthorpe Anglers. I'm planning on fishing their tidal Trent stretches. I know the tidal has suffered badly with Mitten crabs the last few years and I'm asking for any tips on how best to avoid/negate them ??

I don't know about mitten crabs but Scunthorpe have some good stretches of the tidal. Some are hardly fished. I was going to investigate and then joined Nottingham Piscatorials instead. They also have Ladypit Farm which is great for a confidence boost when you are not catching. Not many big barbel here though.

Never really had a problem with them last year, although some stretches were festooned with them, most of my baits were hard halibut pellets and dumbells, i can vouch for Scunny having some good stretches , try and avoid the weekends and hopefully the pandemic does not come back full tilt either, then a lot of the tidal trent that got clobbered by the long duration mucho bait lobbed in brigade might be a bit less hectic . If the weather gods play ball, not a drought or weeks of rain might be a much better prospect than last season .

Ladypit farm is the closest of their stretches to me. The rest are a bit more of a trek than my normal venues, but a few sessions on their tidal stretches and the ticket will have paid for itself with regards to my other trips to the A1 pits and Collingham.

Does Vaseline kill crabs?
You may need to apply petroleum jelly to the area every night for several weeks. Crabs don't disappear after the treatment kills them.

Back