• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Countryfile- interesting piece on waste entering our rivers

Howard Cooke

If you didn’t see it, it’s worth a look and especially if you fancied getting massively cross with our nation’s water companies. How can we possibly have two thirds of these emergency waste outlets (that are seemingly used routinely rather than in times of weather trauma) not monitored? Impact over the last 20 years on the Windrush looks horrific.

Because they can get away with it that's why, if I was cynical it would make me think that those in power had something to gain from not prosecuting those responsible as imo the buck should stop with the directors.

I think I have mentioned this before but I work closely with a large pump company and they are doing a lot of work on remote STW replacing antiquated technology. This is a direct result of massive fines being levied on the Water Authorities by OFWAT. They had been ignoring the fines and just paying them rather than invest in sorting the root cause. Thankfully the fines are serious enough now to get the attention of shareholders; hence the investment in modern pumping systems that should in time make a difference, but's a a big old job changing out years years of neglect.

No idea Anthony - probably - just sharing some anecdotal information that there is some hope, and as ever money talks!
I think we have come a long way, I can honestly remember years ago an accidental discharge into the Tees of 2 tonnes of phenol - it was never reported, EA not informed etc and this will have been just one incident in god knows how many over the years. Evidently if we could sort out the seal problem at the Tidal barrage ( but that's another story) the Tees would be one of the finest salmon rivers in England, unthinkable 20 years ago.
In contrast I've just spent this morning on a massive new construction site where it looks like it will be mandatory that any plant that runs on hydrocarbons( heavy plant/pumps/gennies etc) will have to come on with absorbent mats as there is zero tolerance for any environmental impact. Water quality is constantly monitored by the EA and people know that they have to be responsible for their actions. On this site even small oil leaks and spills are unacceptable and it's very refreshing that industry is taking it's responsibility very seriously.

Back