• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cornwall in the Winter

Adam Rawson

Next week I'll be in South Cornwall for a week with the misses, its an area I know extremely well as I go there most summers. However, I have never been there in the winter.

Basically I have no idea if there will be any fish around to have a chuck for! Anyone know if pollack and wrasse etc stick around? I'm guessing beachcasting may yield something but I'm keen to keep it light.

Anyone fished Cornwall/Devon in the winter? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Adam

Hi Adam, I have fished Cornwall Beaches in the Winter, in the last few years, but North Cornwall only.... The rock marks on Trevose head and Stepper Point produce Codling, The Camel estuary also produces Codling and Whiting , with the odd Flatty putting in an appearance . Conger from the rocks at Newquay and a place called Cataclews point at Harlyn Bay.
I use locally dug lugworm and mackerel strip for bait, and have had several good sessions... I do not know personally about the south coast.
If I were you I would have a look in on the "World Sea Fishing "forums... there are lots of local reports from all areas of Britain, and some specifically from South Cornwall and Devon.Some good info on there.
Hope this helps.
Dave

Cheers David,

I posted the same message on the WSF and they said that it was probably going to be a blank except for deepwater marks on the North Coast as you have said. I'll probably still have a blast though weather permitting. You never know! :)

Cheers
Adam

Back