• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

conti's

Chris Thomson

Been going through my huge collection of hooks today and came across some drennan continentals and after having a play around with them realised that although there quite an old hook they do tick alot of boxes for me. They seem very strong for their size, they are very sharp and the wide gape and short shank could see me giving them a go. I know that alot of anglers on here use them and i was wondering if , because they have an outurned eye, if they are as effective with braid as they would be for mono. I would have thought that the straight pull offerred by the outurned eye would be but have regular users of them found them more effective with one or the other or no difference ?

One of my favourite hooks, for all the reasons that you listed. I like the out-turned eye so much in fact that I have judiciously modified ESP Raptors when I've been unable to get Conti's. Would love to get them in smaller sizes but only ever found 4,6 and 8.
Have used them with mono and braid hooklengths, work well with both.

Available in 1,2,4,6 and 8 according to this.
I hadn't seen them in a tackle shop for years and presumed that they'd been discontinued.

I've been using the Nash Fang Gaper for the last year. Much shorter shank than the vast majority of available hooks, stay sharp and are pretty heavy duty. Available in 2,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 barbless and barbed. Not sure that I'm too keen to pay a fiver for ten hooks but as they've never let me down I probably will.:eek:;)

Chris i have also been using the nash fang gapper, and they have never let me down. has anybody used the raptor curve shank after reading the blurb on the packet and looking at the hooks they seem very good ?

Yep, Drennan Continental Boilies are probably my favorite all round big fish hooks. If you need to go smaller than a size eight then the Drennan Boilie goes down to a twelve. A bit lighter in the wire but never had one let me down.

I've tried that many hooks over the years for Barbel fishing I was beginning to think it was an impossible journey, 3 years a go a friend recommended the Continentals.........Bingo, never let me down and I just hope they stay in production.

Chris,

I've used contis 8, 6 & 4s for all my Barbelling for as long as I can remember when I want a hook sized 8 or above. The outurned eye has never caused me an issue with braids/monos or floruos.

Hope you're well mate.

Tommo

were the continentals the same as star points?
i used to use them in micro barb form for all my carp fishing 18 years ago, fantastic hooks, i still have a few.

what size have you regular users been using with an 18mm boily, size 6 looks abit big to me but the size 8 looks a little lost, anyone , does using a slightly larger hook than is compatible with a certain size boily make any difference?

I would have no problem using a size 8 as long as there was good seperation between hook and bait

Back