• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Coming over from Ireland to fish the Wye. (Bucket list trip) . Any info appreciated

Hi All, I'm coming over from Ireland to fish the river wye at the end of october for 5 days. I'm experienced with coarse angling (tench/bream/roach mostly) but never fished for Barbel. I've booked into the strangford beat of the brockhampton fishery for 3 days and onto the Courtfield beat for two days. Any advice for the time of year on tactics or swims greatly appreciated. Many thanks

If you can get a look at the catch returns on the Wye and Usk website you can get some info on how the stretch is fishing and other stuff that may be useful

I agree with Ben's advice, a big lump of meat (flavoured with paprika often helps) fished on the lead.
Alternatively the "go to" pellets such as spicy sausage and halibut often work.
Never fished the beats you'll be on Fergal, but it's about assessing the river on the day. Levels will probably be up and it'll probably be coloured, hence big smelly baits required.
You're bound to catch some cracking chub as well I bet!
Tight lines 🎣

There are many factors that can determine how successful your trip will be, none moreso than the levels. But she is up and down like a fiddlers elbow being a spate river, fingers crossed mild conditions persist.
Keep it simple large smelly meat as said, I fish one rod due to normally tight swims and high banks. Take a dog spike and rope essential kit.
There are many youtube clips to give you a glimpse of the Wye, I recommended the Silent Angler, he is a local chap and knows his stuff. Also Dave Roberts he is the go to guy.
Like most Barbel rivers the Wye is not as good barbel wise as previous years. but she is special and like Ireland beautiful in scenery, wishing you the luck of the Irish 😁

Hi Fergal
Brockhampton has it's own Facebook page and website, there are some catch details posted on them. There is also a guy who does guiding on there called Ian Henderson, who will know the beats very well, it may be worth messaging him nearer to your trip to ask about conditions, how it's fishing and for any tips and advice.

thanks yes I've checking them out in anticipation. Do most people submit returns? Over here people would never submit a good catch return.
You’re “encouraged” to submit one then hassled if you don’t and not everyone does. But normally enough to get a decent idea of how the stretch is fishing and often you’ll get a good idea about access

I’ve always found them useful

You’re “encouraged” to submit one then hassled if you don’t and not everyone does. But normally enough to get a decent idea of how the stretch is fishing and often you’ll get a good idea about access

I’ve always found them useful
Sound thanks. Its much different over here , mostly free fishing so people keep their good spots and results to themselves because they get overrun by undesirables if you put results on a public forum.

Hi Fergal
Brockhampton has it's own Facebook page and website, there are some catch details posted on them. There is also a guy who does guiding on there called Ian Henderson, who will know the beats very well, it may be worth messaging him nearer to your trip to ask about conditions, how it's fishing and for any tips and advice.
Good tip thanks. I've got his number from a pal now.

There are many factors that can determine how successful your trip will be, none moreso than the levels. But she is up and down like a fiddlers elbow being a spate river, fingers crossed mild conditions persist.
Keep it simple large smelly meat as said, I fish one rod due to normally tight swims and high banks. Take a dog spike and rope essential kit.
There are many youtube clips to give you a glimpse of the Wye, I recommended the Silent Angler, he is a local chap and knows his stuff. Also Dave Roberts he is the go to guy.
Like most Barbel rivers the Wye is not as good barbel wise as previous years. but she is special and like Ireland beautiful in scenery, wishing you the luck of the Irish 😁
Thank you Neil, i'm hogging the youtube videos alright and the dog spike in the car. Silent angler ones are great. Does anyone use boilies? I've some there in spicy squid and garlic thought might be worth a try.

Back