• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Combi Rigs Again

T

Trevor Davies

Sorry to bring this subject up again but i just wanted to know what everyone else generally does.

How long do you have the braid section when tying a Combi Rig using the 6 up, 6 down knot?

Just been tying some up and mine are roughly 15mm which looks about right to me.

Cheers

Trevor

I keep mine all under an inch.
If there is alot of weed or plenty of flow and the rig moves around before settling I shorten right down to try and prevent it goinging back on itself and tangling.

I was thinking along those lines Gary but also thought about adding a small bag to stop tangles on the cast so can see no problems going up to2 inch like Johnny.

I'll have a play this weekend as the weather is meant to be improving and see what happens.

Cheers

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

I go with a braid section of about 2 inches and have never had a problem with tangles, preferred braid at present is wychwood deception....

my thinking with 2" and not shorter, is when a barbel takes the bait, it does not feel the knot, as it sucks the bait in. IMO
What mono /fluoro do other anglers use? For fluoro i use Sniper FC.

Jon

I was thinking along those lines Gary but also thought about adding a small bag to stop tangles on the cast so can see no problems going up to2 inch like Johnny.

I'll have a play this weekend as the weather is meant to be improving and see what happens.

Cheers

Trevor

On the odd occassion I have found a small knot in the braid section where it must have flipped back on itself. By reducing length I've not had it happen again.

I remember on the old site someone stating that they left the tag end on the mono / flouro length a little longer so that they could use this to 'trap the pva mesh bag when threaded on.

Back